Hand , a S. E. county of Dakota, recently formed, and not contained in the census of 1870; area, about 1,000 sq. m. It is watered by affluents of the Missouri and of the Dakota or James river. The N. W. portion is occupied by the "Plateau du Coteau du Missouri."
Hang Nest ,.See Baltimore Bird.
Hango, Or Hango-Udd a seaport of Russia, on the coast of Finland, about half way between Helsingfors and Abo, on a tongue of land the extremity of which forms Hango Head or Cape Hango. The population is small, but the place derives importance from its harbor being free from ice excepting during about one month of the year, owing to the warm currents from the gulf of Bothnia. It has been declared a free port, and a railway connecting it with St. Petersburg was opened Oct. 8, 1873. The mole is built of granite, and runs out into the harbor for 150 yards, with a depth of 40 ft. on both sides. Owing to the natural advantages of the railway and to the cheapness of labor, it carries freight at a lower rate than the shorter routes from Revel and the Baltic ports. - The Swedes were defeated here in 1713 by the Russians.
Hanifah , (commonly called Abu hanifah), the founder of the Hanifites, the most ancient of the four sects of orthodox Mussulmans, born at Kufah in 699, poisoned in 767. He early gained distinction from his knowledge of theology and law, but was equally eminent for his personal qualities. He did not accept the doctrine of absolute predestination, and was thrown into prison by the caliph. Subsequently he opposed the caliph's persecution of the inhabitants of Mosul, and was compelled to take poison. A mausoleum was built for him in 1092. He taught that the sins of the faithful are not annulled, and that it is possible for them to fall into transgression. He wrote a famous commentary on the Koran, entitled Seved, or "The Help."
Hanley , a town of Staffordshire, England, forming with the township of Shelton a municipal borough, 1 m. N. of Stoke-upon-Trent, and 149 m. N. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 39,976. It is in the centre of the pottery manufacturing district, in which business the inhabitants are chiefly employed, and to which the rapid increase of population (which in 1831 was only 7,121) is mainly due. The town, situated on a rising eminence, has wide, well paved streets, and is lighted with gas and supplied with water. It has a handsome town hall, public library, mechanics' institute, and several large markets. An important cattle market is held here every fortnight.
Hannah F. Sawyer (Lee), an American authoress, born in Newburyport, Mass., in 1780, died in Boston, Dec. 28, 1865. She was the daughter of a physician of eminence in her native place, and for many years resided in Boston. Her first known publication was the appendix to Miss Hannah Adams's memoir of herself, which was succeeded by " Grace Seymour," a novel, and "Three Experiments of Living," published in 1838. The subject of the latter work was suggested by the commercial disasters of the time; it has passed through upward of 30 editions in the United States, besides many in Europe, and is esteemed her best work. Her remaining works are: " The Old Painters;" "Eleanor Fulton," a sequel to "Three Experiments of Living;" "Rich Enough;" "Luther and his Times;" " Cran-mer and his Times;" "The Huguenots in France and America;" "The World before You;" " Stories from Life" (1849); "Memoir of Pierre Toussaint " (1853); and " History of Sculpture and Sculptors " (1854).