Hamlin , an E. county of Dakota, recently formed and not included in the census of 1870; area, 720 sq. m. It is intersected by the Big Sioux river, and contains several lakes. The surface is mostly table land.
Hamm , a city of Westphalia, Prussia, at the junction of the Ahse with the Lippe, 20 m. S. S. E. of Minister; pop. in 1871, 16,914. As a point of military importance it suffered much during the thirty years' war. It was bombarded in 1761 and 1762 by the French, and dismantled in 1763. The old walls have been levelled and a promenade constructed in their place. It contains four churches, a gymnasium, manufactories of linen and other goods, tanneries, and a considerable trade. It is a central railway station between Hanover and Cologne.
Hamme , a town of Belgium, in the province of East Flanders, on the Dunne, near its junction with the Scheldt, 17 m. E. by N. of Ghent; pop. in 1867, 10,142. The inhabitants are engaged in rope making and ship building, and there is a considerable trade in cloth and flax. In the neighborhood interesting antiquities have been discovered.
Hammersmith , a village of Middlesex, England, on the Thames, 3 1/2 m. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 24,520. It has a handsome suspension bridge, many elegant houses and villas, a grammar school endowed by Bishop Latimer, with an annual revenue of £800, several churches and charitable institutions, and a Catholic school and nunnery established in the reign of Charles II. The vicinity is chiefly occupied by nurseries and market gardens, which supply the metropolis with flowers and vegetables.
Hampden Sidney College , an institution of learning in Prince Edward co., Va., about 70 m. W. S. W. of Richmond, under the charge of the Presbyterians. It was founded in 1775 and chartered in 1783, and in 1873-'4 had 5 professors, 86 students, and libraries containing about 7,000 volumes. The Presbyterian union theological seminary was established near this college in 1823 and chartered in 1866, and in 1873-'4 had 4 professors, 61 students, a library of 7,500 volumes, and an endowment of more than $100,000.
Hampstead , a suburb of London, in Middlesex, situated on a range of hills, 4 m. N. W. of the city; pop. in 1871, 32,281. It has a pleasant and healthy situation. In former times Hampstead was renowned for its mineral springs, and at present it is one of the most popular resorts of Londoners. Hampstead heath, on the summit of the principal hill, is crowded with people on fine days, and particularly on Sunday, when excursions on donkeys are made and picnic parties assemble there. The village proper is irregularly built, but in its vicinity are tine villas, and there are many schools. Hampstead has always been a favorite resort of poets, including Pope and Byron. The upper Flask inn on Hampstead heath, once the place of meeting of the Kit-cat club, of which Addison and Steele were members, is now a private residence. At the present day there are many famous taverns, especially Jack Straw's, which was much frequented by Dickens and his friends.