Lambton, a S. W. county of Ontario, Canada, bounded N. bv Lake Huron and W. by the St. Clair river, and drained by the Sydenham river and other streams; area, 1,083 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 38,897, of whom 12,673 were of Irish, 11,538 of English, 9,800 of Scotch, and 1,624 of German origin or descent. It contains extensive petroleum wells, and is traversed by the Grand Trunk and Great Western railways. Capital, Sarnia.
Lamego, a town of Portugal, in the province of Beira, 71 m. E. N. E. of Coimbra, at the foot of the Sierra Penude, and 3 m. S. of the Douro; pop. about 9,000. It is surrounded by walls, defended by an old castle, and has a fine cathedral, but is otherwise uninteresting and excessively dirty. It contains an episcopal palace, a college, a diocesan seminary, three monasteries, two hospitals, and a nunnery. It has been the seat of a bishop since the 4th century. Its chief celebrity is due to the story that a cortes was held here in 1143, at which the constitution of the newly created kingdom of Portugal was drawn up; but this is now said to be fictitious. Lamego was the residence of the Moorish kings till it was taken from them by Ferdinand the Great in 1038.
Lamellibranchiates, a name properly given to the acephalous mollusks, having the gills in lamellae on the sides, protected by a right and left shell. Excluding the molluscoids (bra-chiopods, tunicates, and bryozoans), now believed by many to be articulates, coining near the worms, the term would be svnonymous with the bivalve mollusks.
Lamoille, a 1ST. county of Vermont, drained by Lamoille river; area, 420 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,448. The surface is hilly, the Green mountains traversing the county in a N. E. and S. W. direction. There is some excellent soil in the valleys, but the land is chiefly adapted to grazing. The chief productions in 1870 were 18,257 bushels of wheat, 61,836 of Indian corn, 168,103 of oats, 333,185 of potatoes, 50,022 lbs. of wool, 68,233 of hops, 657,892 of maple sugar, 984,378 of butter, 39,199 of cheese, and 41,570 tons of hay. There were 2,703 horses, 8,886 milch cows, 1,375 working oxen, 4,701 other cattle, 9,377 sheep, and 2,480 swine; 8 manufactories of carriages, 1 of hones and whetstones, 1 of paper boxes, 10 of starch, 3 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 1 of woollen goods, 2 tanneries, and 9 saw mills. Capital, Hyde Park.
Lampasas, a central county of Texas, bounded W. by the Colorado river and drained by the Lampasas, a tributary of the Leon; area, 835 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,344, of whom 80 were colored. The surface is much broken, and the soil is fertile; much of the land is well adapted to grazing. There are white sulphur springs at the county seat. The chief productions in 1870 were 45,487 bushels of Indian corn and 26 bales of cotton. There were 713 horses, 20,787 cattle, 1,241 sheep, and 4,320 swine. Capital, Lampasas.