Lancaster Sound, a channel leading from Baffin bay W. to Barrow strait, in the American arctic regions. Its E. entrance lies between Capes Horsburgh on the north and Liverpool on the south, in lat, 73° 45' to 74° 55' N., lon. 79° W. On the west it opens into Prince Regent inlet, Barrow strait, and "Wellington channel. It is the entrance to the N. W. passage, and was probably in the course of Sir John Franklin's last voyage. Its length is about 250 m., its central breadth about 65 m. The great island of North Devon forms its northern coast, and several islands formerly thought to be part of Cockburn island its southern. On the former side Croker bay opens into it; on the latter it receives Navy Board and Admiralty inlets. It was discovered by Baffin in 1616.
Lancewood, a wood imported from the West India islands and South America in poles from 15 to 20 ft. long and 3 to 6 in. in diameter. The tree is the Duguetia Quitarensis, of the anonacece, the family to which our papaw belongs. It resembles boxwood, but is of somewhat paler yellow. It is remarkably stiff and elastic, and is consequently well adapted for the shafts of carriages, bows, and springs. It is largely employed for these, as well as for surveyors' rods, billiard cues, and rules, which ordinarily pass for boxwood, and for anglers' rods. Species of oxandra and cananga, of the same family, are called lancewood in Jamaica.
Land's End (anc. Bolerium Promontorium), a remarkable headland, the most western point of Great Britain, projecting into the Atlantic at the W. extremity of Cornwall. It is formed of granite cliffs, whose summits are 60 ft. above the level of the sea. About a mile from it are the dangerous rocks called the Longships, on which is a lighthouse with a fixed light 88 ft. above high water. On a peninsula near by is one of those natural curiosities called " logging" or "logan stones," so poised on a fulcrum that they can be made to rock.
Landerneau, a seaport of Brittany, France, in the department of Finistere, 14 m. E. N. E. of Brest; pop. in 1866, 7,853. The town is built on both sides of the Elorn or Lander-neau, near its entrance into the roadstead of Brest, and has a good harbor. It contains a fine Gothic church, a communal college, a large convent, and extensive marine barracks. Linen, leather, glazed hats, and refined wax are manufactured. The streets are narrow, but the quays are lined with fine buildings. About 700 vessels enter and clear annually.
Landolin Ohmacht, a German sculptor, born in Würtemberg about 1761, died in Strasburg, March 31, 1834. He was at first a joiner, studied under Canova in Borne, and settled in Strasburg in 1801. His principal works are: "The Judgment of Paris," in the royal garden at Munich; the statue of Neptune at Münster, and that of Desaix between Kehl and Strasburg; the mausoleum of the emperor Rudolph in the cathedral of Spa; the statue of Luther at Weissenburg, and that of "Venus leaving her Bath," which is regarded as his masterpiece. Among his best known busts are those of Lavater, Klopstock, Raphael, and Holbein.