Landsberg, a town of Prussia, in the province of Brandenburg, on the Warthe, 40 m. N. E. of Frankfort-on-the-Oder; pop. in 1871, 18,531. It is walled and well built, contains a gymnasium, a Realschule, three churches, an almshouse, and lunatic and orphan asylums. It has iron founderies and manufactories of woollen and linen cloth, hosiery, leather, paper, and machinery, and an important trade in wool, lumber, and corn.
Landshut, a town of Bavaria, capital of the district of Lower Bavaria, on the Isar, 39 m. N. E. of Munich; pop. in 1871, 14,141. It has a Protestant and three Catholic churches, two convents, and a Franciscan monastery, a gymnasium with a Latin school, and an industrial, an agricultural, and a commercial school. In 1800 the university of Ingolstadt was transferred to Landshut, where it remained till 1826, when it was removed to Munich. The castle of Trausnitz, which overlooks the town, was at one time the residence of the dukes of Lower Bavaria; in it Conradin, the last of the Hohenstaufen, was born in 1252. In the latter half of the 14th century, and throughout the 15th, Landshut was the capital of the duchy of Bavaria-Landshut.
Landshut, Or Landeshut, a town of Prussia, in the province of Silesia, on the Bober, 49 m. S. W. of Breslau; pop. in 1871, 5,673. It has several bleaching grounds and a considerable linen trade. The Lutheran church of the Holy Trinity, on a neighboring hill, was one of the six churches which the emperor Joseph I. allowed the Silesian Protestants to build. The Landshuter Kamm, a point of the Riesenge-birge near Landshut, is 3,000 ft. high. In June, 1760, the Austrian general Laudon obtained here a great victory over the Prussians.
Landskrona, a fortified town and seaport of Sweden, in the lan of Malmo, 16 m. N. N. E. of Copenhagen; pop. in 1869, 7,323. It is handsomely built on a tongue of land projecting into the sound, and has a good harbor and a strong citadel. It contains a fine church, an assembly house, a large sugar refinery, an iron foundery, a woollen mill, machine shops, tanneries, and ship yards. Corn, fish, pitch, timber, and alum are exported. Coal fields have recently been discovered in the vicinity. A mile from the shore is the island of liven, formerly the residence of Tycho Brahe; but nothing of the observatory now remains.
Lane, a W. county of Oregon, bounded E. by the Cascade mountains, S. partly by the Sinslaw river, and W. by the Pacific ocean; area, 3,500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,426. It embraces the head of the Willamette valley, that river being navigable eight months in the year to the county seat. The W. portion is mountainous; the S. portion, forming the valley, is fertile. The Calapooya mountains separate it from the valley of the Umpqua. The Oregon and California railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 294,771 bushels of wheat, 235,722 of oats, 24,687 of barley, 32.455 of potatoes, 167,893 lbs. of wool, 155,214 of butter, and 5,381 tons of hay. There were 4,874 horses, 5,158 milch cows, 5,680 other cattle, 52,745 sheep, and 19,557 swine; 1 flour mill and 3 saw mills. Capital, Eugene City.