Maconnais, an ancient territory in Burgundy, now comprised in the department of Saone-et-Loire. It was inhabited by the AEdui, conquered by Julius Coesar, and in the 5th century by the Burgundians. Afterward it was united to the empire of Charlemagne, and at the end of the 9th century to Cisjurane Burgundy. It became a hereditary county in the 10th century, and was purchased by Louis IX. in the early part of the 13th. The duke of Berry came into possession of it in the middle of the 14th century. It was restored to the crown in 1416; 19 years afterward Charles VII. gave it to Philip the Good, duke of Burgundy; and it was finally reunited to the French crown in 1477. Capital, Macon.
Macoupin, a S. W. county of Illinois, drained by Macoupin, Otter, and Cahokia creeks; area, 864 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 32,726. It has a diversified surface and excellent soil. It is traversed by the Chicago and Alton, the Indianapolis and St. Louis, and other railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 861,558 bushels of wheat, 1,051,544 of Indian corn, 459,417 of oats, 60,964 of potatoes, 88,080 lbs. of wool, 291,608 of butter, and 42,423 tons of hay. There were 12,926 horses, 2,007 mules and asses, 6,907 milch cows, 11,846 other cattle, 17,670 sheep, and 32,395 swine; 6 manufactories of agricultural implements, 5 of brick, 17 of carriages, 7 of cooperage, 10 of saddlery and harness, 1 of woollen goods, and 14 flour mills. Capital, Carlinville.
Macvey Napier, a Scottish writer, born in 1776, died in Edinburgh, Feb. 11, 1847. He studied law, was chosen librarian of the society of writers for the signet, and in 1825 was selected for a lectureship on conveyancing, which was soon afterward made a professorship in the university of Edinburgh, a post which he occupied till his death. In 1817 he published an essay on the writings of Lord Bacon, which was subsequently incorporated with a work entitled "Lord Bacon and. Sir Walter Raleigh" (8vo, Cambridge, 1853). He edited the " Supplement to the Encyclopaedia Bri-tannica" (6 vols. 4to, Edinburgh, 1815-'24), and afterward superintended the seventh edition of the entire work (1830-'42), to which he contributed many important articles. He succeeded Mr. Jeffrey as editor of the "Edinburgh Review" in 1829, and conducted it for 17 years. In 1837 he resigned his office of librarian, being made one of the principal clerks of the court of sessions.
Madame (Fr. ma and dame, my lady), a French title, originally applied only to female saints and ladies of quality, but now extended to married women generally. Under the old French monarchy the daughters of the sovereign received this title at their birth, and were designated Madame Elisabeth, Madame Vic-toire, etc, the eldest only being called simply Madame. It applied more particularly perhaps to the wife of Monsieur, the king's eldest brother, or to the eldest daughter of the dauphin, by but one of whom, however, it could be borne at a time. The daughters of the king's younger sons and of his brothers and uncles were called Mesdemoiselles, the one taking precedence of the others in rank or birth being Mademoiselle.