See Asmoneans, and Hebrews.
Macclesfield, a market town and municipal and parliamentary borough of Cheshire, England, 147 m. N. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 35,451. It is pleasantly situated on the river Bollin, and on a declivity near Macclesfield forest. It has a fine church founded in 1278, and a heavily endowed grammar school dating from 1502. The staple manufacture is silk, which gives employment to about 70 mills. The cotton manufacture is also important. A canal which unites the Grand Trunk and the Peak Forest canals passes near Macclesfield, and opens water communication with most parts of England.
Maceio, Or Macayo, a city of Brazil, capital of the province of Alagoas, 1,050 m. N. N. E. of Rio de Janeiro, and 120 m. S. S. W. of Pernambuco; pop. about 8,000. It stands about 1 m. inland, on a slight elevation, surrounded by cocoa palm groves. It has a parish church and two other churches, and a Latin and two or three primary schools. Its port, Jaguara, is partially sheltered by a line of coral reefs; but in spite of excellent piers, built out from the beach, shipping cannot come alongside, and goods are landed and loaded by lighters. The chief industries are agriculture and the manufacture of rum and cachaca; ship building is carried on; and there is an extensive commerce in sugar and in cotton of superior quality.
Mack, a village of Pvockland co., New York, on the "W. bank of the Hudson, 30 m. above its mouth, and nearly opposite Tarrytown, with which it is connected by a steam ferry, and at the terminus of the Northern railway of New Jersey; pop. in 1870, 3,43S. It is situated at the foot of the Nyack hills, is lighted with gas, has water works and a fire department, and is much resorted to in summer by citizens of New York. Broad drives lead to Rockland lake on the north and Piermont on the south. Steamers run to New York, and large quantities of milk, fruit, and vegetables are shipped to that city. The village contains a manufactory of wooden ware, three of shoes, one of pianos, a stone crusher, three planing mills, two banks, several hotels, six schools, including the Rockland female institute, two weekly newspapers, a monthly periodical, and nine churches.
Macomb, a S. E. county of Michigan, bordering on Lake St. Clair, and drained by Clinton river and its branches; area, 460 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 27,616. In the east the surface is level and well timbered, and in the west hilly and broken; the soil is deep and fertile. The Grand Trunk and the Detroit and Bay City railroads pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 381,862 bushels of wheat, 317,358 of Indian corn, 529,417 of oats, 264,553 of potatoes, 144,806 lbs. of hops, 322,189 of wool, 888,184 of butter, and 42,-689 tons of hay. There were 7,983 horses, 9,027 milch cows, 7,741 other cattle, 64,305 sheep, and 11,289 swine; 10 manufactories of agricultural implements, 18 of carriages and wagons, 12 of saddlery and harness, 4 of turned and carved wood, 21 saw mills, and 10 flour mills. Capital, Mount Clemens.