Naumann Joliaiiu Friedrieh

Naumann Joliaiiu Friedrieh, a German ornithologist, horn at Ziebigk, near Köthen, Feb. 14, 1780, died in Köthen, Aug. 15, 1857. He was the son of the ornithologist Johann Andrea N'aumann, studied at Dessau, and devoted himself especially to the study of the birds of Germany, Besides other works, he published Naturgeschichte der Vögel Deutschlands (13 Vols Leipsic1822 - '52), embellished by plates, a large number of which he engraved himself.

Naupactus

See Lepanto.

Nauplia, Or Napoli Di Romania

Nauplia, Or Napoli Di Romania, a seaport town of Greece, in the nomarchy of Argolis and Corinth, and capital of an eparchy of its own name, on the gulf of Argolis, 58 m. S. W. of Athens; pop. in 1870, 8,543. The three forts which protect it make it the strongest maritime town of Greece. It is the seat of a Greek archbishop, of a court of appeal, and of a court of primary jurisdiction. The town has seven churches, a gymnasium, and an arsenal. From 1824 to the end of 1834 it was the seat of the government of Greece. In 1831 Capo d'Istria was assassinated here, and in 1833 Otho, the first king of restored Greece, landed at the port. In antiquity Nauplia was the port of Argos.

Nausets

See Massachusetts Indians.

Naushon

See Elizabeth Islands.

Navarino, Or Neoeastro

Navarino, Or Neoeastro, a fortified town of the Morea, Greece, in the nomarchy of Messe-nia, at the S. extremity of the bay of Navarino, 5 m. N. of Modon (Methone), and 3 m. from Old Navarino, which stands on the N. coast of the bay, near the ruins of Messenian Py-los; pop. about 2,000. It has a citadel, situated on a high rock. The chief objects of interest are the remains of an old aqueduct, and some antique marble pillars adorning the front of a former mosque. The bay of Navarino is about 3 m. long and 2 m. wide, with from 12 to 2(3 fathoms of water. It is shut in by the island of Sphacteria or Sphagia, famous for the victory achieved there by the Athenian Cleon over the Spartans, 425 B. C. Here, on Oct. 20, 1827, the combined fleets of Great Britain, France, end Russia, under Codrington, Rigny, and Heiden, destroyed the Turkish-Egyptian fleet, which greatly promoted the success of the Greeks in their struggle for independence.

Navaro

Navaro, a N. E. county of Texas, hounded N. E. by the Trinity river, by branches of which it' is drained; area, 1,040 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,879', of whom 2,245 were colored. It has a rolling surface, with a rich, dark soil along the watercourses, and a large portion of prairie. It is traversed by the Houston and Texas Central railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 219,865 bushels of Indian corn, 5,150 of sweet potatoes, 4,077 hales of cotton, and 2.935 lbs. of wool. There were 9,244 horses, 1,151 mules and asses, 4,875 milch cows, 2,459 working oxen, 32,783 other cattle, 7,144 sheep, and hi,419 swine. Capital, Oorsicana.

Navigators Islands

See Samoan Islands.

Nazareans

See Christians of St. John.