Philippe Quinault, a French dramatist, born in Paris, June 3, 1635, died there, Nov. 26, 1688. When about 18 years old he produced on the stage a five-act comedy, Les rivales, which was received with applause. He studied law, married a rich widow, assumed the title of councillor before the parliament, and bought an office as auditor in the court of exchequer. In 1664 he produced La mère coquette, ou Les amants corrigés. Astarte (1663), his only tragedy which is now remembered, was ridiculed by Boileau. He wrote lyrical tragedies to which Lully furnished the music. He was elected a member of the French academy in 1670. His complete works were published in 1739 and 1778 (5 vols. 12mo).
Philippe Ricord, a French physician, born in Baltimore, Md., Dec. 10, 1800. His father had come to the United States in 1790. In 1820 the son went to Paris, where he received his medical degree in 1826. He first practised at Olivet, near Orleans, and later at Croüy-sur-Ourcq. From 1831 to 1860 he was surgeon-in-chief of the hôpital du midi in Paris. He has specially devoted himself to venereal diseases, his works on which have a wide reputation. - Alexandre, his brother, born in Baltimore in 1798, received the degree of M. D. at Paris in 1824, and is author of several works on medicine and natural history.
Philippe Rousseau, a French painter, born in Paris about 1808. He first exhibited landscapes, and subsequently pictures of still life and animals. Among the most remarkable is "The Photographic Ape," with flowers (1866). In 1868 he exhibited his "Residence of Sir Walter Scott".
Philippeville, a fortified town of Algeria, in the province of Constantine, on the gulf of Stora, 40 m. W. of Bona; pop. in 1872, 13,022, mostly of European descent. It is the seat of a civil tribunal and an Arabic bureau, and has a Catholic and a Protestant church, a mosque, a "hospital, a museum, and barracks. A considerable transit trade from Europe to Constantine and the eastern Sahara passes through this city. It is connected by steamships with Marseilles and Algiers. The valleys around the town are very fertile; the hills are wooded, and cork trees abound. Philippeville was founded by the French in 1839, on the site and partly with the materials of the ancient Rusicada, and is called by the Arabs Ras Skiada.
Philippsburg, a town of Baden, at the confluence of the Salzbach with the Rhine, 15 m. N. of Carlsruhe; pop. about 2,300. It belonged till 1803 to the bishops of Spire, and was an important fortress of the empire, its position always inviting the first attacks of the French. It was fortified at the commencement of the thirty years' war, and in the course of it was taken successively by the Swedes, French, and Germans, and again by the French, to whom the peace of "Westphalia secured the right of garrison. It was taken by the duke of Lorraine in 1676, and confirmed to Germany by the treaty of Nimeguen. It fell into the hands of Louis XIV. in 1688, and was restored to the empire by the treaty of Ryswick in 1697. In 1734 the French again captured it, but relinquished it in 1735. They forced it to surrender in 1800, and levelled its fortifications.