Tenor (Lat. tenere, to hold), the second of the four parts in harmonic composition, reckoning from the bass, or the highest natural adult male voice, having a general compass from 0, the second space in the bass, to A or B flat in the treble, though composers in chorus writing do not find it prudent often to write higher than G for this voice. The term is derived from the fact that in the ancient part compositions the tenor sustained or held the plain-song or principal air.
Tensas, a N. E. parish of Louisiana, bordering on the Mississippi, and drained by Tensas river and Macon bayou; area, 680 sq. m.; pop. in 1875, 18,520, of whom 17,100 were colored. The surface is low and flat, and the soil fertile. It has steamboat communication with the interior by way of the Tensas river, which runs nearly parallel with the Mississippi, and joins the Washita in Catahoula parish to form Black river. The chief productions in 1870 were 94,500 bushels of Indian corn, 13,050 of sweet potatoes, and 25,371 bales of cotton. There were 1,211 horses, 2,404 mules and asses, 2,748 cattle, 1,043 sheep, and 2,684 swine. Capital, St. Joseph.
Teos, an ancient Ionian city, on the W. coast of Asia Minor, about 25 m. S. W. of Smyrna. It is noted as the birthplace of Anacreon. It had two good harbors, and was a flourishing commercial town till the Persian conquest. The village of Sighajik, 1½ m. N. of Teos, has walls constructed from its ruins. The chief ruin is that of the temple of Bacchus.
See Mexico, vol. xi., p. 474.
Teplitz, Or Toplitz, a watering place of N. Bohemia, in the circle of Leitmeritz, 45 m. N. W. of Prague; pop. in 1870, including the adjoining village of Schonau, 11,618. In the season of 1875 it was visited by about 30,000 invalids and tourists. Of the 17 alkalo-saline springs, 11 are now used, chiefly for the gout and rheumatism. A treaty of alliance between Russia, Prussia, and Austria, against Napoleon, was concluded here, Sept. 9, 1813.
A Province Of S. Italy, formerly Abruzzo Ulteriore I. (See Abruzzo).
A Town, capital of the province (anc. Interamna), 85 m. N. E. of Rome; pop. about 19,000. It is the see of a bishop, and has a modernized Gothic cathedral, and manufactories of hats and cream of tartar. Interamna, which is also the ancient name of Terni and other places, was a city of Picenum. Many vestiges of the ancient city have been discovered on the site of Teramo.
Terbium, a supposed metal discovered by Mosander in 1843, associated with erbium and yttrium in the mineral gadolinite. Very carefully conducted experiments of Bahr and Bun-sen throw great doubt on the existence of terbium, and further experiments are required to afford a perfectly satisfactory answer to the question whether crude yttria is a mixture of three earths or of only two. According to Delafontaine, terbia is an earth of a pale rose color, the solutions of which exhibit an absorption spectrum, whereas the salts of erbia do not exhibit the same phenomenon by prismatic analysis. The metal terbium has never been isolated, and a majority of chemists at present discredit its existence.