Terceira, one of the Azore islands, near the centre of the group; lat. 38° 40' N., lon. 27° 10' W.; extreme length 20 m., general breadth about 12 m.; pop. about 50,000. The coast is generally bold and precipitous, and the central part of the island is mountainous, the summits consisting mostly of fertile plains. Many of the mountain masses are composed of soft pumice. The island is well watered, and the soil fertile. Grain, wine, and cattle are produced, and it exports oranges and lemons. Capital, Angra. - In 1829 Terceira became the seat of the regency for Dona Maria da Gloria during Dom Miguel's usurpation in Portugal, and Dom Pedro I. of Brazil collected there forces for the recovery of his daughter's throne.
See ship worm.
Teresa Bandettini, an Italian poetess, born in Lucca, Aug. 12, 1763, died April 5, 1837. She was at first a ballet dancer, but soon left the stage and acquired celebrity as an im-provisatriee. In 1789 she married Signor Pie-tro Landucci, a gentleman of Lucca. Great honors were showered upon her in Rome and other cities by the people as well as by poets and academies; and she was equally admired for accomplishments and virtues. Her works include Rime diverse (1788); La Morte di Adone, a poem in four cantos; and II Polidoro. She was verse 1 in several languages, and translated from the Latin and Greek with ease.
Teresa Guiccioli, countess, born about 1802, died in Rome, March 26, 1873. See Byron.
Termini-Imerese (anc, Thermae Himerenses), a town of Sicily, part of the ancient northern Himera, in the province and 20 m. S. E. of the city of Palermo, E. of the mouth of the San Lionardo; pop. in 1872, 25,780. It has line churches, a good harbor, fisheries, and an active trade in local products, including mac-caroni, which is the best in Sicily. - After the destruction of the Greek city of Himera by Hannibal, the son of Gisco, in 409 B. C, the surviving inhabitants fled to the neighboring Thermae, so named from its celebrated hot sulphur springs. The town appears to have existed during the Roman empire, and considerable portions of the Roman part are still visible. The southern Thermos or Thermos Seli-nuntiae is described under Sciacca, its modern site. (See also Himera).
Terni (anc. Interamna), a town of Italy, in the province of Perugia, on an island formed by the Nera, 49 m. N. by E. of Rome; pop. about 10,000. It has a cathedral built from the designs of Bernini, with a high altar rich in marbles; and there are many Roman remains and inscriptions. Silk and oil are the chief articles of trade. About 5 m. from Ter-ni are the celebrated falls of the Velino (cadute delle Marmore), about 800 ft. high, fed by an artificial channel laid out by the Romans to drain the plains of Rieti. The water descends by three separate leaps, respectively 50, 500, and 250 ft. high, forming one continuous sheet of foam, described by Byron " as worth all the cascades and torrents of Switzerland put together." - The ancient Interamna, originally belonging to Umbria, was celebrated under the Romans, as Terni still is, for the remarkable fertility of the surrounding country.