Cass, the name of seven counties in the United States. I. A S. W. county of Michigan, bordering on Indiana; area, 528 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 21,094. It has a level surface, diversified by a number of small lakes, and occupied by prairie, oak openings, and dense forests. Iron and limestone are the principal minerals. It is traversed by the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, the Peninsula, and the Michigan Central railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 630,271 bushels of wheat, 670,013 of Indian corn, 175,665 of oats, 302,-058 of potatoes, 33,078 tons of hay, 443,182 lbs. of butter, 143,913 of wool, and 42,278 of maple sugar. There were 7,142 horses, 5,648 milch cows, 6,702 other cattle, 36,770 sheep, and 22,330 swine. There were 7 manufactories of agricultural implements, 11 of carriages and wagons, 7 of furniture, 5 of iron castings, 7 of saddlery and harness, 5 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 3 of woollen goods, 3 flour and 24 saw mills. Capital, Cassopolis. II. A N. W. county of Indiana, drained by Wabash and Eel rivers; area, 420 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 24,193. In the vicinity of the rivers are high bluffs; the rest of the surface is generally flat, and divided between prairies in the N. and forests in the S. part.
It is traversed by the Wabash and Erie canal, and by the Toledo, Wabash, and Western, and the Columbus, Chicago, and Indiana Central railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 401,154 bushels of wheat, 312,434 of Indian corn, 90,835 of oats, 55,077 of potatoes, 11,934 of flax seed, 10,516 tons of hay, 310,588 lbs. of butter, and 56,444 of wool. There were 4,989 horses, 4,361 milch cows, 6,181 other cattle, 18,186 sheep, and 14,706 swine. There were 7 flour mills, 31 saw mills, 1 manufactory of cars, 4 of machinery, 9 of carriages and wagons, 5 of furniture, 2 of iron castings, 1 of linseed oil, and 5 of saddlery and harness. Capital, Logansport. III. A TV. central county of Illinois, bounded N. TV. by Illinois river, and N. by the Sangamon, both of which are here navigable by steamboats; area, 350 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,580. The surface .is level, and consists of prairies and woodlands; the soil is extremely fertile. It is traversed by the Peoria, Pekin, and Jacksonville, the Springfield and Illinois Southeastern, and the Rockford, Rock Island, and St. Louis railroads; the Jacksonville division of the Chicago and Alton railroad intersects the S. E. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 139,219 bushels of wheat, 1,146,980 of Indian corn, 168,784 of oats, and 4,136 tons of hay.
There were 3,513 horses, 2,281 milch cows, 6,198 other cattle, 4,235 sheep, and 12,685 swine. There were 3 flour and 2 saw mills, 1 paper mill, and 2 manufactories of carriages and wagons. Capital, Beardstown. IV. A N. central county of Minnesota, nearly encircled except on the west by the Mississippi, which rises in Itasca lake on its N. TV. border; area, 4,750 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 380. It is watered by numerous streams and lakes, the largest of which is Leech lake, in the N. part. Pine and other timber is abundant. The Northern Pacific railroad passes through the S. part. The estimated value of farm productions in 1870 was $1,770; of live stock, $1,360. V. A S. TV. county of Iowa; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,464. It is traversed by the Nishnabatona river, an affluent of the Missouri, and watered by affluents of the Nodaway river. The Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 54,529 bushels of wheat, 235,500 of Indian corn, 23,144 of oats, 13,857 of potatoes, 7,061 tons of hay, and 56,185 lbs. of butter. There were 954 horses, 868 milch cows, 2,398 other cattle, 1,386 sheep, and 1,820 swine.
Capital, Lewis. VI. A TV. county of Missouri, bordering on Kansas, intersected by a branch of the Osage river; area, about 1,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 19,206, of whom 502 were colored. There are numerous springs of good water, and several quarries of limestone and sandstone. The surface is moderately uneven and occupied chiefly by fertile prairies. The Pacific railroad of Missouri crosses the S. E. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 205,789 bushels of wheat, 1,711,952 of Indian corn, 262,472 of oats, 82,859 of potatoes, 12,100 tons of hay, 252,508 lbs. of butter, 22,680 of wool, and 19,-281 of tobacco. There were 8,053 horses, 1,441 mules and asses, 5,366 milch cows, 13,514 other cattle, 9,187 sheep, and 33,140 swine. There were 6 flour and 7 saw mills, and 5 manufactories of saddlery and harness. Capital, Harrisonville. VII. A S. E. county of Nebraska, bounded N. by the Platte river, and separated from Iowa on the east by the Missouri; area, 570 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,151. It is well watered and fertile, the surface being undulating prairie. The Burlington and Missouri River railroad traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 224,670 bushels of wheat, 674,558 of Indian corn, 137,986 of oats, 78,107 of potatoes, 11,971 tons of hay, and 171,262 lbs. of butter.
There were 3,310 horses, 2,748 milch cows, 4,370 other cattle, 2,098 sheep, and 7,419 swine. There were 8 flour and 2 saw mills, and 3 manufactories of saddlery and harness. Capital, Plattsmouth.