Nipissing, Or Nepissing, a lake of Ontario, Canada, nearly midway between Lake Huron and the Ottawa river. It is about '50 m. long from E. to W. and 15 m. in greatest breadth, and discharges through French river (55 m. long) into Georgian bay. This river contains numerous islands and rapids. The lake receives several streams, the largest of which is Sturgeon river from the north.
Nisibis, in ancient geography, the capital of Mygdonia, a district of Mesopotamia, on the river Mygdonius. It was important as a commercial city and a military post, being frequently conspicuous during the wars of the Romans against Armenia, Parthia, and Persia. From the latter part of the 4th century it remained in the hands of the Persians. Its ruins are now visible near Nizibin in the Turkish vilayet of Diarbekir. Some critics identify the district in which it was situated with the Aram Zoba of Scripture; while others place the latter near Nizib on the Euphrates, a place known by the victory of Ibrahim Pasha over the Turkish army in June, 1839.
Nissa, Or Nish (anc. Naissus), a town of European Turkey, in the vilayet of Prisrend, on the Nissava, an affluent of the Morava, 70 m. S. W. of Widdin; pop. recently estimated at from 6,000 to 16,000, including many Christians. It is the residence of a Turkish pasha and of a Greek bishop, and has famous thermal springs. It is chiefly remarkable for its fortifications, and for commanding military communications between Thrace, Bulgaria, and Servia. The plain of Nissa is very fertile. The town was formerly the capital of Servia. The ancient Naissus was an important city, and the birthplace of Constantine the Great.
Nkviansk, a town of Russia, in the government of Perm, near the source of the Neiva in the Ural mountains, 47 m. N. of Yekaterinburg; pop. about 20.000. It is the centre of one of the oldest and most important mining regions, in the midst of almost continuous for-Jt contains a castle, built early in the 18th century by Prince Demidoff, with a fine tower which once served as a refinery for silver from the Altai. Excellent bar iron and lacquered ware are made.
Nmsemokd, a S. E. county of Virginia, bordering on North Carolina and the Dismal Swamp, and drained by branches of the Nansemond river; area, 444 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,576, of whom 5,517 were colored. It has a level surface and sandy soil. Lumber, tar, and turpentine are exported in considerable quantities. The Seaboard and Roanoke, and the Atlantic, Mississippi, and Ohio railroads pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 5,405 bushels of wheat, 228,057 of Indian corn, 22,466 of oats, 22,169 of Irish and 57,594 of sweet potatoes. There were 1,017 horses, 1,392 milch cows, 2,192 other cattle, 1,381 sheep, and 11,044 swine. Capital, Suffolk.
Nodaway, a N. W. county of Missouri, bounded N. by Iowa and W. by the Nodaway river, and drained by the Little Platte and the One Hundred and Two river; area, 710 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,751, of whom 87 were colored. It is intersected by the Kansas City, St. Joseph, and Council Blutfs railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 46,824 bushels of wheat, 1,276,400 of Indian corn, 122,491 of oats, 66,-061 of potatoes, 34,972 lbs. of wool, 203,347 of butter, 15,335 of honey, 22,190 gallons of sorghum molasses, and 18,189 tons of hay. There were 6,715 horses, 1,070 mules and asses, 5,964 milch cows, 10,364 other cattle, 15,661 sheep, and 36,434 swine; 11 manufactories of saddlery and harness, 3 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 3 of brick and stone, and 11 saw mills. Capital, Maryville.