Nikolsbirg

Nikolsbirg, a town of Austria, in the province of Moravia, 45 m. N. by E. of Vienna; pop. in 1869, 8,758. It has a gymnasium conducted by the Piarists, a Jewish school, an industrial school, a beautiful Gothic collegiate church, and two synagogues. In the centre of the town, on a rock, is the castle of Prince Dietrichstein, with a library of more than 20,000 volumes. Near it is the village of Voitelsbrunn, with a sulphur bath. In December, 1805, negotiations were conducted here which led to the peace of Presburg. On July 26, 1866, a truce and preliminary peace was concluded here between Austria and Prussia, and on July 28 a truce between Prussia and Bavaria.

Niles

Niles, a city of Berrien co., Michigan, on the E. bank of the St. Joseph river, here crossed by an iron bridge, and on the Michigan Central railroad, 105 m. S. W. of Lansing and 165 m. W. S. W. of Detroit; pop. in 1874, 4,592. The site is diversified, and the surrounding country is rich in agricultural products. There are several handsome business blocks, and the chief street is well built up with brick structures. The business houses carry on a large trade. The river affords good water power, which is controlled by the Niles manufacturing company. There are two paper mills, several large founderies and machine shops, a national bank, several union schools, two weekly newspapers, a monthly periodical, and six churches. Niles was settled in 1828, and incorporated as a village in 1838.

Nilgbau

See Antelope.

Nimrud

See Nineveh.

Nimwegen

See Nimeguen.

Ninon De Lemlos

See L'Enclos.

Niobe

Niobe, in Grecian mythology, a daughter of Tantalus, king of Lydia, by a nymph. She had six sons and six daughters, and boasting herself superior to Latona, who had borne only two children, Apollo and Diana, to avenge their mother, slew all the children of Niobe, who in her grief wept herself to stone.

Niobium

See Columbium.

Niort

Niort, a town of France, in Poitou, capital of the department of Deux-Sevres, on the Sèvre Niortaise, and on the Orleans and La Rochelle railway, 212 m. S. W. of Paris; pop. in 1872, 21,344, among whom are about 6,000 Protestants. It is the seat of a tribunal of the first grade, of a court of assizes, a commercial court, and a conseil de prud'hommes. It has a lyceum, a public library of 30,000 volumes, a museum for antiquities, several learned societies, and public baths. What remains of the former castle is now used as a prison. The town carries on a brisk trade, especially in cotton and woollen goods, leather, and gloves. It is celebrated for its flowers and vegetables, and the public gardens are among the finest in France.

Nipigon, Or Nepigon

Nipigon, Or Nepigon, a lake of Ontario, Canada, intersected by the 50th parallel and the 88th meridian. It is elliptical in shape, being about 70 m. long from N. to S. and 50 m. from E. to W., though the shores are much indented by bays and the coast line measures 580 m. It is thickly studded with islands, is very deep, and abounds in fish. Its surface is 813 ft. above that of Lake Superior. It receives numerous streams, and discharges through Ni-pigon river (40 m. long) into Nipigon bay, the most northerly point of Lake Superior. The river contains falls and rapids, and expands in its course into four small lakes.