An American bishop, born in Burlington, N. J., Jan. 18, 1798, died in Florence, Italy, March 12, 1873. He graduated at Princeton college in 1816, was admitted to orders in 1820, and labored for two or three years in Christ's church, Georgetown, D. C. In 1825 he was appointed professor of ethics and chaplain in the military academy, West Point, and in 1827 became rector of St. Ann's church, Brooklyn, N. Y. He was chosen in 1831 professor of the evidences of revealed religion and sacred antiquities in the university of the city of New York, and delivered a valuable course of lectures, which were subsequently published. He was in the following year elected bishop of Ohio, and was consecrated Oct. 31,1832. As head of Kenyon college and of the theological seminary in his diocese, as well as by his zeal and activity in the discharge of his episcopal duties, he exercised a large and powerful influence in the Episcopal church. In 1853 he received the degree of D. C. L. from the university of Oxford, and in 1858 that of LL. D. from the university of Cambridge. He was a member of the sanitary commission during the civil Avar, and did the country service on a visit to Europe in setting forth right views of the questions at issue.
He was also present at the " Pan-Anglican " council in London in 1867. Failure of health induced him to visit Europe again just before his death. His principal publications were: "Lectures on the Evidences of Christianity" (1832), which has passed through 30 editions; "Oxford Divinity compared with that of the Roman and Anglican Churches " (1841); " The Holy Catholic Church" (1844); "No Priest, no Altar, no Sacrifice but Christ," and " Reasons for refusing to consecrate a Church having an Altar" (1846); "The Truth and the Life," 22 discourses, published at the request of the convention of Ohio (1850); and " Righteousness by Faith " (1864). He edited " Select Family and Parish Sermons" (2 vols., 1839).