John Sterling, a British author, born at Karnes castle, isle of Bute, July 20, 1806, died at Ventnor, isle of Wight, Sept. 18, 1844. He was educated at Glasgow and Cambridge universities, in 1827 went to London, and for a few months in 1828 edited with F. D. Maurice the "Athemeum." In 1830-'31 he passed 15 months on St. Vincent island, West Indies, for his health, the state of which required intervals of residence in the south of France, Madeira, and Italy through the rest of his life. In 1834 he took deacon's orders and became curate to his former college tutor J. C. Hare, rector of Hurstmonceaux, Sussex; but in February, 1835, he went to London to devote himself to literature. In August, 1838, he founded the Anonymous club, afterward called the Sterling club. Among the members were Car-lyle, Tennyson, Moncton Milnes, John Stuart Mill, J. C. Hare, C. L. Eastlake, Sir Edmund Head, and G. C. Lewis. Sterling published "Arthur Coningsby," a novel (London, 1833); "Minor Poems" (1839); "The Election," a poem (1841); and " Strafford," a drama (1843). After his death appeared "Essays and Tales," collected from various reviews, with a memoir by J. C. Hare (2 vols. 8vo, 1848); "Life of John Sterling," by Thomas Carlyle (1851); "Twelve Letters by John Sterling," edited by W. Coningham (1851); and " The Onyx Ring," from "Blackwood," with a biographical preface by Charles Hale (Boston, 1856).