I. A province of the Argentine Republic, bounded N. by Bolivia, E. by the Gran Chaco, S. by the province of Salta, and W. by Bolivia; area, about 30,000 sq. m.; pop., in 1869, including foreigners, 40,379. The whole N. W. portion is an elevated plain called the Puna, which is a continuation of the great Bolivian table land, and which terminates somewhat abruptly to the south and east in a mountain chain extending due N. from Salta, and presenting a' few snow-covered peaks of about 14,000 ft. E. of these mountains the territory gently inclines toward the plains of the Chaco, with a few inconsiderable mountains. The valleys bounded by the several ridges, especially those of the east, are exceedingly fertile, owing to abundant irrigation, an advantage not enjoyed in the Puna and the W. country generally. The principal river is the San Francisco or Grande, which flows in a semicircle forming the southern boundary of the province,-receives numerous tributaries, and joins the Bermejo 25 miles S. of Oran. In the Puna are two lakes, Toro in the south and Casabindo in the north, both of considerable extent, and the second furnishing inexhaustible quantities of salt, much of which is exported. x\sphalt, petroleum, gold, silver, copper, iron, and quicksilver abound in most districts; but for want of suitable means of transportation no mines have as yet been worked.
Although mostly comprised within the tropics, this province has a mild and salubrious climate. The arboreal vegetation is luxuriant, and includes the mate, dragon's blood, and Peruvian balsam trees, and many kinds of timber and cabinet woods.
Rice, maize, the sugar cane, and tobacco are largely cultivated. The principal industries are agriculture, the rearing of cattle, mules, sheep, goats, llamas, and vicunas, spinning, and weaving. Coarse woollen stuffs are extensively manufactured. There are schools in every town, but at the time of the census, of 6,021 children aged from 6 to 14 years, only 1,383 attended; and of the whole population, only 4,309 read and 3,376 wrote. Formerly Jujuy was a part of the adjoining province of Salta. II. San Salvador de, a city, capital of the province, situated on the right bank of the Rio San Francisco, in a fertile valley 4,000 ft. above the sea, 870 m. N. W. of Buenos Ayres; pop. in 1869, 7,629. It has no edifices worthy of mention. The industries of the place are chiefly conducted by Indians and mestizos; there is a weekly fair for cattle and agricultural products. In the vicinity are saline hot springs, the waters of which are efficacious against chronic rheumatism.