New Britain, the name of one large and several smaller islands in the Pacific ocean, between lat. 4° and 6° 30' S., and lon. 148° and 152° 30' E.; extreme length of the large island about 300 m., breadth from 5 to 50 m.; area, about 10,000 sq. m. It is of crescent shape, and is separated on the west from Papua by Dampier's strait, and on the northeast from New Ireland by St. George's channel, the former being about 50 and the latter 25 m. wide. There are several fine bays and harbors, and at Spacious bay, the E. headland of which is in lat. 5° 2' S., lon. 152° 7' E., there is supposed to be a channel extending across the island. In the interior there are high mountains, and in the north active volcanoes. Bordering the coast are extensive fertile plains, and much of the surface is covered with forests. The principal productions are palms, sugar cane, breadfruit, pigs, turtles, and fish. The inhabitants are a tribe of oriental negroes or negritos, well made, and very dark.
New Britain, a town of Hartford co., Connecticut, on the Hartford, Providence, and Fishkill railroad, and a branch of the New York, New Haven, and Hartford railroad, 8 m. S. W. of Hartford; pop. in 1870, 9,480. It is lighted with gas, has a steam fire engine, and an ample supply of water is obtained from a reservoir of 175 acres, at an elevation of 200 ft., throwing a jet from the fountain on the public square to the height of 140 ft. The chief business is the manufacture of builders' hardware. There are also two extensive hosiery manufactories, employing several hundred hands each, malleable iron works, and manufactories of cutlery, jewelry, lace, hooks and eyes, cabinet hardware, harness trimmings, etc. It contains a national bank, a weekly newspaper, three large public school buildings, two seminaries, the state normal school, and six churches. It was formed from the town of Berlin in 1850.