A N. E. County Of Virginia, bordered E. by the Blue Ridge, and intersected by the Shenandoah river; area, about 250 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,462, of whom 986 were colored. The soil is very fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 128,543 bushels of wheat, 18,583 of rye, 93,765 of Indian corn, 24,249 of oats, 43,932 lbs. of butter, and 3,315 tons of hay. There were 1,965 horses, 1,450 milch cows, 3,084 other cattle, 2,532 sheep, and 5,254 swine; 1 bloomary, 2 blast furnaces, and 13 distilleries. Capital, Luray.
A S. W. County Of Iowa, bordering on Missouri, drained by the Nodaway and several branches of the Nishnabatona and Pakio rivers; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,975. It has a rolling surface and fertile soil. The Brownsville and Nodaway railroad ends at the county seat, and a branch of the Burlington and Missouri River railroad to Nebraska City crosses the N. W. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 69,436 bushels of wheat, 1,001,054 of Indian corn, 123,457 of oats, 68,856 of potatoes, 188,-. 699 lbs. of butter, 22,213 of wool, and 16,352 tons of hay. There were 4,645 horses, 3,899 milch cows, 5,589 other cattle, 7,532 sheep, and 14,619 swine. Capital, Clarinda.