Deptford, a town of Kent and Surrey, on the south bank of the Thames, 4 1/2 miles below London Bridge, now one of the metropolitan boroughs. In 1885 it was constituted a parliamentary borough, returning ore member. In its royal dockyard, dating from Henry VIII.'s reign, Queen Elizabeth knighted Drake when he returned from his voyage round the world. It was closed in 1869, when part of its site was fitted up by the London corporation as a foreign cattle-market. The Royal Victualling Yard is also here. Deptford was long famous for horticulture, but the gardens have mostly been built over or used for railway purposes. There is little shipbuilding now, but the General Steam Navigation Company employ a great many men here, and there are large and famous marine engineering establishments. In 1888-89 the Electric Lighting Company erected buildings here for supplying London with light. Peter the Great worked here as a shipwright. Lord Howard of Effingham, John Evelyn, Admiral Benbow, and Grinling Gibbons lived here; and Marlowe the dramatist was killed here, and is buried in St Nicholas churchyard. Deptford is divided from Greenwich by the Ravensbourne, and over the creek there is a bridge where formerly the depe ford crossed the river. Pop. (1851) 27,896; (1881) 76,732; (1901) 110,398.