Goodwin Sands, famous sandbanks stretching 10 miles NE. and SW. at an average distance of 5 1/2 miles from the east coast of Kent. Large level patches of sand are left dry when the tide recedes, and afford a firm foothold, so that cricket has often been played upon them. When covered the sands are shifting, and may be moved by the prevailing tide to such an extent as to considerably change the form of the shoal; still, the general outline has been fairly constant. The shoal is divided into the North and the South Goodwin, between which is the deep anchorage named Trinity Bay. These sands, which are marked by four lightships, have always been dangerous to vessels passing through the Strait of Dover. They serve as a breakwater to form a secure anchorage in the Downs (q.v.)when easterly or south-easterly winds are blowing; but when the wind blows strongly off-shore, ships are apt to drag their anchors, and to strand upon the perfidious Goodwins. Many wrecks have taken place here, the most terrible the loss of an entire fleet of thirteen men-of-war, during the ' great storm" on the night of 26th November 1703. These dangerous sands are said to have once been a low fertile island called Lomea (Infera Insula of the Romans), belonging to Earl Godwin ; but in 1014, and again in 1099, it was overwhelmed by a sudden inundation of the sea. The tale is that at the period of the Conquest these estates were taken from Earl Godwin's son, and bestowed upon the abbey of St Augustine at Canterbury. The abbot having diverted the funds with which the sea-wall should have been maintained to the building of Tenterden (q.v.) steeple, in 1099 the waves rushed in; and thus 'Tenterden steeple was the cause of the Goodwin Sands.' But geology indicates a date long anterior. See Gattie, Memorials of the Goodwin Sands (1889).