St Paul, the capital of the state of Minnesota, on the Mississippi, near the mouth of the Minnesota River. It is the outgrowth of a hamlet of voyageurs, chiefly Canadian, employed in the fur trade, and in selling whisky to the soldiers at Fort Snelling. The first log-huts were erected here in 1840, and in 1841 a small Catholic log-chapel dedicated to St Paul. In 1849 the city was made the capital of Minnesota territory. Upon the lower plateau of limestone rock are the capi-tol, post-office, court-house, and large stores; the best private residences are on the upper plateau, overlooking the Mississippi. The Summit Avenue is noted for its width and the costliness of the houses. There are several colleges, not under the control of the city or state: Macalester College (1853), Hamline Methodist University (1854), and St Thomas Roman Catholic College. The water-works furnish a daily supply of eight million gallons. All parts of the city are reached by electric street-railways. The free City Library contains 70,000 volumes. St Paul is the centre of the wholesale grocery and dry-goods business in Minnesota. Pop. (1860) 10,701; (1880) 41,473; (1900) 163,065.

St Paul

St Paul, a volcanic islet, 2 miles long and 860 feet high, in the Indian Ocean, midway between Africa and Australia, in 38° 42' S. lat. and 77° 32' E. long. It is comparatively bare, in contrast to the densely vegetated island of New Amsterdam, 50 miles to the north, like which it was annexed by France in 1892. - St Paul's Rocks, a group of small islets 1° N. of the equator and 540 miles from the South American coast.