Wis'bech, a market-town of Cambridgeshire, in the Isle of Ely, on the Nene, 21 miles ENE. of Peterborough, 13 SW. of Lynn, and 40 N. of Cambridge. The parish church, Norman to Perpendicular in style, has a fine tower; and there are a corn exchange (1811), a cattle-market (1869), a town-hall (1873), the Cambridgeshire hospital (1873), a museum and literary institute, and a public park of 18 acres. A castle, founded by the Conqueror in 1071, was rebuilt by Bishop Morton in 1483, restored by Bishop Andrewes in 1617, and again rebuilt from Inigo Jones's designs by Thurloe, Cromwell's secretary, but was demolished in 1816. Visited by King John and Edward IV., it was the prison under Elizabeth of many Catholic recusants. Godwin was a native, and Clarkson, to whose memory a Gothic cross by Sir G. G. Scott was erected in 18S1. Vessels of nearly 500 tons can now ascend the Nene from the Wash, a distance of 7 miles; and Wisbech has a considerable export of cereals and import of timber, with some manufactures of iron, oil, ropes, etc. It was made a municipal borough in Edward VI.*s reign. Pop. (1851) 10,089; (1901) 9831. See works by W. Watson (1827), S. H. Miller (1878), and T. G. Law (1890).