A S. E. County Of New Hampshire, bordered E. by the Atlantic and S. by Massachusetts, and separated from Maine on the northeast by the Piscataqua river; area, about 700 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 47,297. It is watered by the Lamprey, Exeter, Beaver, and Spiggot rivers. Great bay, a body of water communicating with the Piscataqua, is on the N. E., and Massabesic lake on the W. border. Its surface is uneven, and the soil fertile. It is intersected by the Manchester and Lawrence, the Concord and Portsmouth, the Boston and Maine, the Eastern, and the Nashua and Roch-ester railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 8,065 bushels of wheat, 165,843 of Indian corn, 51,316 of oats, 21,003 of barley, 456,227 of potatoes, 65,604 tons of hay, 28,240 lbs. of wool, 674,208 of butter, and 74,226 of cheese. There were 4,771 horses, 20,129 milch cows, 4,326 working oxen, 7,336 other cattle, 7,960 sheep, and 4,337 swine; 4 manufactories of boats, 34 of boots and shoes, 12 of brick, 12 of carriages and wagons, 12 of men's clothing, 4 of cotton goods, 5 of hosiery, 3 of engines and boilers, 5 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 5 of woollen goods, 2 flour mills, 70 saw mills, 9 tanneries, and 2 distilleries.
Capitals, Portsmouth and Exeter.
A N. County Of Virginia, bordered S. E. by the Blue Ridge and N. W. by the Shenandoah mountains, and drained by the Shenandoah river and its branches; area, about 850 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 23,668, of whom 2,516 were colored. It occupies part of the great valley of Virginia, and has an uneven surface and fertile soil. The chief productions in 1870 were 375,688 bushels of wheat, 36,251 of rye, 251,754 of Indian corn, 140,896 of oats, 16,459 tons of hay, 27,571 lbs. of wool, 307,688 of butter, and 16,540 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 6,505 horses, 5,401 milch cows, 9,335 other cattle, 8,061 sheep, and 17,949 swine; 14 flour mills, 1 distillery, and 2 woollen mills. Capital, Harrisonburg.
A N. County Of North Carolina, bordering on Virginia, intersected by the Dan and drained by the head waters of the Haw river; area, about 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,708, of whom 6,215 were colored. It has an elevated and hilly surface and a fertile soil. The Richmond and Danville railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 53,295 bushels of wheat, 218,469 of Indian corn, 103,528 of oats, 16,159 of Irish and 16,057 of sweet potatoes, 1,441,971 lbs. of tobacco, 7,101 of wool, 92,523 of butter, and 29,457 of honey. There were 1,237 horses, 817 mules and asses, 2,722 milch cows, 3,082 other cattle, 4,759 sheep, and 12,474 swine; and 12 manufactories of chewing tobacco. Capital, Wentworth.