Rome, a city and one of the county seats of Oneida co., New York, on the W. bank of the Mohawk river (which here changes from a S. to a S. E. course), at the junction of the Erie and Black River canals, and at the intersection of the New York Central, the Rome, Water-town, and Ogdensburg, and the Rome and Clinton railroads, 15 m. W. N. TV. of Utica and 110 m. by rail W. N. W. of Albany; pop. in 1870, 11,000; in 1875, 12,511. It is laid out with wide streets, well shaded with maples and elms. Public and private parks and fountains add to its beauty, and pure water is obtained from the Mohawk. The city contains 200 wholesale and retail stores, three banks, two savings institutions, two rolling and puddling mills, a knitting mill, sash, blind, and planing mills, locomotive and car works, and minor manufacturing establishments. There are ten schools, a free academy, and an institution for the education of deaf mutes, two weekly newspapers, and 15 churches. - Fort Stanwix, of revolutionary fame, was in what is now the heart of Rome, and the battle of Oriskany was fought just outside of its limits.
The fort was besieged by the British in July and August, 1777. Rome was incorporated as a village in 1819, and as a city in 1870.
Rome, a city and the county seat of Floyd co., Georgia, at the confluence of the Etowah and Oostenaula rivers, which here form the Coosa, 60 m. N. W. of Atlanta; pop. in 1870, 2,748, of whom 1,005 were colored; in 1875, including the suburban villages of South Rome, Forrestville, and De Soto, about 6,000. The Selma, Rome, and Dalton railroad passes through it, and it is connected by the Rome railroad (20 m. long) with the Western and Atlantic railroad at Kingston. The Oostenaula is navigable by steamers 70 m. above this point, and the Coosa 180 m. below, to Green-port, Ala. Rome is situated on several picturesque hills, which command an extensive view of mountain scenery. It has the finest water works in the south. It is in the centre of the rich iron ore deposits of N. W. Georgia, and is the nearest town to six blast furnaces now in operation. It contains a rolling mill, a nail factory, and two iron founderies and machine shops. There are three private banks, two female colleges, two male high schools, seven primary schools, two newspapers (one daily and weekly and one tri-weekly and weekly), and eight churches. - Rome was incorporated in 1847. It was occupied by the forces of Gen. Sherman, May 19, 1864, during the advance on Atlanta.