Samuel D. Gross, an American surgeon, born in Northampton co., Pa., July 8, 1805. He received his medical degree in 1828, and began practice in Philadelphia, devoting his leisure to study and to the translation of French and German medical works, as Hollard's "General Anatomy," Hatin's "Manual of Obstetrics," Hildenbrand on "Typhus Fever," and Taver-nier's "Operative Surgery." His first original work was a treatise on the "Diseases and Injuries of the Bones and Joints" (1830). In this occurs the first account of the use of adhesive plaster as a means of extension in the treatment of fractures. In 1833 he became demonstrator of anatomy in the medical college of Ohio, and removed to Cincinnati; and in 1835 he became professor of pathological anatomy in the medical department of the Cincinnati college, where he delivered the first systematic course of lectures on morbid anatomy that had ever been given in this country, and composed the first systematic treatise on the subject ever published in the United States, "Elements of Pathological Anatomy " (2 vols. 8vo, Boston, 1839; 3d ed., 1857). In 1840 Dr. Gross removed to Louisville, Ky., having been elected professor of surgery in the university of that city.
In 1850 he accepted the professorship of surgery in the university of New York, but at the end of the session returned to Kentucky, where he was soon restored to his chair. In 1856 he was called to Jefferson medical college in Philadelphia. Dr. Gross was chosen president of the American medical association in 1867, and in 1870 presided over the teachers' convention at Washington for the improvement of medical education. He is a member of many American and European societies, and has received the degree of LL. D. from Jefferson college of Pennsylvania, and that of D. C. L. from Oxford university (1872). Besides the works already mentioned, he is the author of a monograph on "Wounds of the Intestines" (1843); "Foreign Bodies in the Air Passages" (1850); " Diseases, Injuries, and Malformations of the Urinary Organs" (1851); "Report on the Causes which retard the Progress of American Medical Literature" (1856); "System of Surgery, Pathological, Diagnostic, Therapeutic, and Operative" (2 vols. 8vo, 1859; 3d ed., revised, 1864; translated into French, Dutch, and Russian); " Lives of Eminent American Physicians and Surgeons," and "Manual of Military Surgery" (1861). In conjunction with Dr.T. G. Richardson, he founded and for five years edited the "North American Medico-Chirurgical Review."