Victoria, a S. county of Texas, bounded E. in part by Garcitas creek, and S. W. by Coleto creek and Guadalupe river, the latter also intersecting it; area, 925 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,860, of whom 1,768 were colored. The surface is low and level, and the soil fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 71,078 bushels of Indian corn, 8,129 of sweet potatoes, 10,822 lbs. of butter, 14,871 of wool, and 205 bales of cotton. There were 5,047 horses, 2,044 milch cows, 62,303 other cattle, 5,445 sheep, and 4,069 swine. Capital, Victoria.
Canada A Central County Of Ontario, lying E. of Lake Simcoe; area, 1,305½ sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 30,200, of whom 14,157 were of Irish, 8,049 of English, 6,479 of Scotch, and 660 of French origin or descent. It is drained by Sturgeon lake and several streams, and is traversed by the Toronto and Nipissing and the Midland railways. Capital, Lindsay.
Canada A N. W. County Of New Brunswick, bordering on Maine, and intersected by the St. John and Tobique rivers; area, about 1,900 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 11,641, of whom 7,184 were of French, 1,696 of Irish, 1,509 of English, and 955 of Scotch origin or descent. Since the census Madawaska co. has been formed from the N. portion. The surface is rolling and varied, and remarkably fertile. Capital, Grand Falls.
Canada A County Of Nova Scotia, comprising the E. portion of the N. projection of Cape Breton island; area, 1,198 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 11,346, of whom 9,751 were of Scotch, 744 of English, and 665 of Irish origin or descent. The N. portion is mountainous and but scantily settled; the S. is better adapted to agriculture. Coal, iron, and salt abound, and gold and silver have been found. Capital, Baddeck.
Victoria, a city, port of entry, and the capital of British Columbia, on the strait of Fuca, at the S. E. extremity of Vancouver island, 65 m. S. S. W. of New Westminster, and 95 m. N. N. W. of Olympia, Washington territory; lat. 48° 27' N., Ion. 123° 25' W.; pop. in 1871, 4,540. It has picturesque surroundings and a fine climate, except in winter, which is wet and stormy. On the N. border is a public park with a race course, surrounding an eminence called Beacon hill. Nearly all the stores and several of the churches are of brick and stone. The government buildings, of brick, occupy extensive grounds in the E. part of the city. Cary castle, the governor's residence, a large stone edifice costing $50,000, is in the suburbs. The city is lighted with gas and has water works. The inlet which forms the harbor runs N. for some miles with art average breadth of a few hundred yards. The entrance is narrow and tortuous, and does not admit vessels drawing more than 18 ft. Esquimalt, 3 m. distant, is used as a port by the largest vessels, and here are a British naval station and a naval hospital.
There are fortnightly lines of steamers to New Westminster, Olympia, and San Francisco. The city contains four breweries, two distilleries, an iron foundery, a soap factory, two sash factories, two tanneries, a ship yard, two lumber yards, etc. There are two banks, a hospital, a theatre, two daily and two weekly newspapers, and Episcopal, Jewish, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist churches. - The Hudson Bay company established a fort and depot here about 1843, and in 1859, upon the organization of the colony of Vancouver Island, the place became its capital. In 1866 this colony was annexed to British Columbia, and Victoria became the capital of the united colony.
See Hong Kong.