Brihuega, a town of New Castile, Spain, in the province and 19 m. N. E. of the city of Guadalajara, on the Tajuna; pop. about 4,500. It was the scene of a decisive victory gained by the French, under the.duke de Vendeme, over the allied forces, under Lord Stanhope, in 1710. A branch establishment of the royal cloth manufactory of Guadalajara occupies a splendid edifice built under the reigns of Ferdinand VI. and Charles III. A considerable trade in cloth and woollen goods is carried on.
Brill, Or Bridle Uriel(properly Breede Hil), a fortified seaport town of Holland, province of South Holland, on the left bank and near the mouth of the Maas, on the N. coast of the Voorne island, 14 m. W. of Rotterdam; pop. about 7,000. The principal church is that of St. Catharine's, and among other public buildings are a synagogue, a Latin school, an ancient orphan asylum, and an arsenal. There are several manufactories, and the principal trade is in cereals and madder. About 5 m. above the town is the entrance to the new Voorden canal across the Voorne island, by which large ships pass from the Maas to Hellevoetsluis. Admiral Marten van Tromp and Vice Admiral Van Al-monde were natives of Briel. The first victory of the Dutch patriots over Spain was achieved here, April 1, 1572.
Brioude, a town of Auvergne, France, in the department of Haute-Loire, near the left bank of the Allier, on the site of the ancient town of Brivas, 29 m. N. W. of Puy; pop. in 1866, 4,932. The old bridge at La Vieille Brioude, long celebrated as being the widest in span of any known, fell down in 1822. In the 16th century many of the inhabitants of Brioude rose in favor of Protestantism, but were subdued by the Roman Catholic party. Lafayette was born near this place, at Chadagnac. A considerable traffic in grain, hemp, and wine is carried on. The principal buildings are the college and the church of St. Julian. There is also a small public library. The railway from Clermont to Le Puy passes through it.
Bristol Brick, a sort of brick used for cleaning steel, manufactured for some years exclusively in Bristol, England. A small vein of the sand required for this purpose was found near Liverpool, but was soon exhausted. One of the owners or operatives, who had been concerned in the Avorks at Bristol, visited the United States in 1820, where by accident he discovered that the same kind of sand which was used for the Bristol bricks might be procured at South Hampton, N. H. Since that period bricks fully equal to the imported article have been manufactured in this country.
Bristol Channel, a body of water separating the southern portion of Wales and Monmouthshire in England from the counties of Devon and Somerset, and composed of the estuary of the river Severn and the broad arm of the sea into which that river empties. It may be said to extend from the mouth of the Bristol or lower Avon, where its width is about 5 m., to the Atlantic, into which it enters between Hartland point, in Devonshire, and St. Gowan's head, in Pembrokeshire, Wales. Its width between these capes is about 40 m. It is bounded by shores as irregular in outline as they are various in their general features, and the whole coast, but especially that on the north, is remarkably picturesque.