Bryan, an E. county of Georgia, bordering on the Atlantic; area, 472 sq. m; pop. in 1870, 5,252, of whom 3,605 were colored. The Ogee-che river touches its N. E. boundary, and the Cannouchee flows through it from W. to E.
The soil is sandy. The surface on the banks of the river is undulating, and in other parts generally level. Much of the land is covered by pine forests. The Atlantic and Gulf railroad passes through the county. In 1870 the principal productions were 38,909 bushels of Indian corn, 28,560 of oats, 30,834 of sweet potatoes, 412 bales of cotton, and 2,857,068 lbs. of rice. There were 527 horses, 1,221 milch cows, 3,483 other cattle, 1,934 sheep, and 5,631 swine. Capital, Eden.
Bryan, Or Bryant, Sir Francis, an English soldier and poet, died in 1550. In 1522 he served with credit in France, under the earl of Surrey; in 1528 was ambassador to France; and in 1529 was sent to Rome to settle the matter of the divorce of Henry VIII. Under Edward VI. he marched against the Scots, and in the battle of Musselburgh commanded the light-horse. In 1548 he was appointed governor of Ireland, where he married the countess of Or-mond. Some of his songs and sonnets were printed with those of Surrey and Wyatt.
Bryonia, Or Bryonine, a poisonous extract of bitter taste, prepared from the roots of the Bryonia alba and dioica, by the process for bitter extracts. It is of a yellowish brown color, soluble in water and alcohol, but not in ether. The plant bryony (Gr. , to grow rapidly) is a wild creeper, with twisting tendrils and scarlet berries of a disagreeable odor. It is met with in different parts of Europe, where it is employed as a purgative medicine, and its berries in dyeing. Its root, when bruised and applied to the skin, is so highly irritant as to produce blisters. Over-doses of the extract have proved fatal.
Bryony (Bryonia dioica).
See Brest Litovski.
Brzezan (Pol. Brzezany), a town of Galicia, Austria, 51 m. S. E. of Lemberg; pop. in 1869, 9,290. It has a gymnasium, a convent of the Bernardines, an old castle, which was formerly fortified and has interesting subterranean vaults, a hospital, a poorhouse, and extensive leather manufactories.
Bua, a small island in the Adriatic, belonging to Austria, in the district of Spalato; area, 11 sq. m.; pop. about 4,000. It is connected with the town of Trau by a bridge. It produces dates, wines, and olives, and has a remarkable well of asphaltum. It contains six villages, the principal of which is Santa Oroce, or Bua. During the later period of the Roman empire many political prisoners and heretics were confined in the island.