Coryell, a central county of Texas, watered by Leon river and several of its tributaries; area, 960 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,124, of whom 279 were colored. It has a rolling or hilly surface, well diversified with prairie and timber land, and a fertile soil suitable for Indian corn and wheat. Stock raising is the principal business. Fine building stone is abundant. The chief productions in , 1870 were 5,778 bushels of wheat, 109,900 of Indian corn, 34,-061 lbs. of butter, and 378 bales of cotton. There were 3,469 horses, 3,046 milch cows, 22,138 other cattle, 2,889 sheep, and 6,275 swine. Capital, Gatesville.
Corypeleus, the leader of the chorus in the dramatic and religious festivals of ancient Athens. He at first performed the various functions which now belong to manager, prompter, and scene decorator. Subsequently, however, the coryphaeus yielded his high office to the choragus, and his duty became limited to the leadership of the dramatic chorus.
Cosel, a town of Prussia. See Kosel.
Coshocton, an E. central county of Ohio; area, 516 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 23,600. It has an undulating and in some places hilly surface, and the soil varies between sand and clay, but is generally productive. It is drained by Muskingum river and its branches, Vernon river, and several small streams. Iron and coal are the most important minerals. It is traversed by the Ohio canal and the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and St. Louis railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 332,391 bushels of wheat, 1,098,184 of Indian corn, 401,308 of oats, 108,471 of potatoes, 27,013 tons of hay, 676,102 lbs. of butter, and 547,709 of wool. There were 8,836 horses, 8,022 milch cows, 12,251 other cattle, 132,173 sheep, and 22,219 swine; 7 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 1 of paper, 1 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 6 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 1 of woollen goods, 7 flour mills, 7 saw mills, and 5 tanneries. Capital, Coshocton.
Cosmas Of Prague, a Bohemian ecclesiastic, and the earliest historian of his country, born in 1045, died Oct. 21, 1126. The first part of his work, the Chronicon Bohemorum, contains the most ancient traditions of Bohemia to 1038; the second part carries the chronicles to 1092, and the third and last part to 1125. The first edition was published by Freher in 1602, and the last edition is contained in Pelzel and Do-browsky's first volume of Scriptores Rerum Bohemicarum (Prague, 1783).
Cossipore, a suburb of Calcutta, India, on the left bank of the Hoogly, 6 m. N. of Fort William. It contains a foundery for the casting of ordnance for the military service of India, which produces guns of excellent workmanship. The company's artillery officers are here instructed in the casting of guns. Cossipore is a sacred place in Hindoo estimation. It has numerous temples, whither pilgrims resort from all quarters, and an active trade with N. W. India.