East Liverpool, a village of Columbiana co., Ohio, on the right bank of the Ohio river, and on the Cleveland and Pittsburgh railroad, about 35 m. N. W. of Pittsburgh; pop. in 1870, 2,105. It is famous for its potteries. The manufacture of china and parian ware has been recently commenced. It contains 16 manufactories of earthen ware, 2 of red brick, 2 of terra cotta, 1 of barrels, 2 flour mills, 2 planing mills, an iron foundery, 2 weekly newspapers, and several schools and churches.
East New York, a post village of the town of New Lotts, Kings co., New York, joining the S. E. extremity of Brooklyn; pop. about 5,000. It is built on elevated land, fanned by the sea breezes, and is very healthy. Most of the residents are employed in New York or Brooklyn. Cypress Hills cemetery and the cemetery of the Evergreens are near its borders. The village is at the terminus of a branch of the Long Island railroad from Jamaica, and is connected by horse cars with the Brooklyn ferries. It contains a few manufactories, several schools, two weekly newspapers, and five churches. An unsuccessful attempt was made in 1873 to annex it, with the rest of Kings co., to Brooklyn.
See Bridge, and Brooklyn.
See Byzantine Empire.
Eastland, a N. W. county of Texas intersected by Leon river; area, 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 88. The central portion is hilly, the E. part is covered with post oak, etc, and some fertile prairies exist in the west. In 1870 there were 14,041 cattle.
Eau Claire, a W. county of Wisconsin, intersected by Chippewa and Eau Claire rivers; area, 648 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,769. The surface is uneven, and the soil fertile. The West Wisconsin division of the Milwaukee and St. Paul railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 205,827 bushels of wheat, 69,964 of Indian corn, 294,493 of oats, 18,336 of barley, 29,011 of potatoes, 5,760 tons of hay, and 124,365 lbs. of butter. There were 1,458 horses, 1,834 milch cows, 2,509 other cattle, 1,864 sheep, and 1,839 swine; 7 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 4 of furniture, 3 of iron castings, 2 of machinery, 4 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 5 of bricks, 3 flour mills, 23 saw mills, and 4 breweries. Capital, Eau Claire.
Eau De Luce (aqua lucioe), a liquid soap made by mixing a little oil of amber and mastic or balm of Gilead with ammonia. It is a remedy for the bites of poisonous animals. The compound tincture of ammonia is substituted for it, made by dissolving 2 drachms of mastic in 9 fluid drachms of rectified spirit, pouring off', and adding a pint of strong ammonia, and 14 minims of oil of lavender.
Ebenezer, the name of a place where the Israelites were defeated when the ark of God was taken (1 Sam. iv. 1), and also of a memorial stone or monument set up by Samuel to commemorate their victory over the Philistines at Mizpeh, when God interposed for their deliverance (1 Sam. vii. 5-12). The compound word signifies the stone of help. The monument was erected by the prophet, saying, "Hitherto hath the Lord helped us." The name of the place, though mentioned first, was probably of later use, being borrowed from that of the monument.