Reutlingen, a town of Würtemberg, capital of the Black Forest circle, on the Echatz, 20 m. S. of Stuttgart; pop. in 1871, 14,237. It has a pomological school, several other special schools, and a well endowed hospital. St. Mary's church, with a tower about 350 ft. high, which was erected in the 14th century and restored in 1844, is considered the most beautiful church of Würtemberg. In 1863 a monument was erected here to Friedrich List, who was, a native of the town. There are important manufactures of cloth, hats, powder, soap, etc. Reutlingen was in 1240 made a free imperial city, and in 1803 united with Wür-temberg. It has always been strongly Protestant, having subscribed the Augsburg confession in 1530.
Reykiavik (Icel. Reikjavig) a seaport town and the capital of Iceland, at the head of a bay opening into Faxafiord, on the S. W. coast; lat. 64° 8' 24" N, lon. 21° 55' 15" W.; pop. about 1,400. It is the residence of the governor and the seat of the althing or legislature and of the supreme court. It has a cathedral church, a college with six professors, a school of theology and other schools, an observatory, a public library of 10,000 volumes, and two political newspapers. An important annual fair is held here. During summer regular steam communication is maintained with Leith and Copenhagen. - Reykiavik, founded in 874, was the first permanent settlement in Iceland. Its 1,000th anniversary was celebrated on Aug. 7, 1874; and on the same day the municipality of Copenhagen voted 6,000 rixdalers for the erection of a monument there in honor of Thorwaldsen, whose father was a native of Iceland.
Reynolds, a S. E. county of Missouri, drained by the head waters of the Big Black river; area, about 700 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,756, of whom 11 were colored. It has an undulating surface and fertile soil. The chief productions in 1870 were 13,382 bushels of wheat, 168,255 of Indian corn, 17,680 of oats, 13,385 lbs. of tobacco, 6,607 of wool, and 48,000 of butter. There were 1,075 horses, 3,585 cattle, 4,810 sheep, and 9,953 swine. Capital, Centreville.
Rhadamanthus, in Greek mythology, one of the three infernal judges, the others being Minos and AEacus. Rhadamanthus judged the people of Asia and Africa, AEacus those of Europe, and the judgments of both were revised by Minos. Rhadamanthus was reputed the son of Jupiter, and sometimes of Vulcan, and was said to have been born at Cnossus in Crete, and to be the brother of Minos I., king of that island. At Thebes he married Alcme-na, the widow of Amphitryon, and subsequently made a descent upon the Cyclades, which he conquered and over which he reigned.
Rhea, a S. E. county of Tennessee, bordered S. E. by the Tennessee river, drained by its branches, and intersected by a range of the Cumberland mountains: area, about 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,538, of whom 531 were colored. The chief productions in 1870 were 32,639 bushels of wheat, 187,970 of Indian corn, 36,034 of oats, 1,332 tons of hay, 10,276 lbs. of tobacco, 9,088 of wool, and 9,041 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 1,152 horses, 1,455 milch cows, 3,026 other cattle, 5,306 sheep, and 9,239 swine; and 3 wool-carding and cloth-dressing establishments. Capital, Washington.