Schaumburg-Lippe, a principality of the German empire, embraced between the Prussian provinces of Hanover, Hesse-Nassau, and Westphalia; area, 171 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 32,059. The surface toward the north is level, but becomes hilly in the south, and the soil is very fertile. There are only a few small streams, tributaries of the Weser. A large forest, the Schaumburger Wald, is in the west, and the Steinhuder Meer, a small lake, in the north. Coal and limestone are found. It has one vote in the federal council, and sends one deputy to the Reichstag. The local legislature or diet consists of one chamber with 15 members. The reigning prince is Adolphus (born Aug. 1, 1817), who assumed the reins of government in 1860. Capital, Bückeburg.
Schema, in the Odyssey, an island at the west end of the earth, inhabited by the Phaea-ces, a people fond of the feast, the lyre, and the dance. The ancients identified it with Corcyra.
Schemnitz (Hun. Selmecz-Bánya), a town of 1ST. W. Hungary, in the county of Hont, on the Schemnitz, a tributary of the Gran, 65 m. N. by W. of Pesth; pop. in 1870, 14,029. It is closely hemmed in by hills, and consists chiefly of one steep and narrow street and of several suburbs. It contains four Catholic churches and one for Protestants, and a mining academy founded in 1760. The gold, silver, lead, copper, iron, sulphur, and arsenic mines, long among the most important in Europe, have much fallen off in production, though still employing about 8,000 persons. All the government mines are connected with each other, and below them are two main adits, of which the lower one, the Joseph II. adit, is a magnificent work, 12 ft. high, 10 ft. wide, and ex' tending 10 m. to the valley of the Gran, and is used for a canal and a railway.
Scheveningen, a watering place of the Netherlands, on the seashore, 3 m. N. W. of the Hague; pop. about 8,000. It contains a fine old church, a royal pavilion, and a large hotel belonging to the corporation of the Hague. The inhabitants are engaged in fishing. The English fleet under Monk defeated in this vicinity the Dutch commanded by Van Tromp, who was killed, Aug. 10 (N. S.), 1653.
Schiedam, a town of the Netherlands, in the province of South Holland, near the junction of the Maas with the Schie, 4 m. W. of Rotterdam; pop. in 1873, 20,778. It is well built, has many canals, and contains one Catholic and five Protestant churches. The finest public building is the exchange. It is the centre of the trade in spirituous liquors. There are nearly 300 distilleries, chiefly of gin, celebrated under the name of hollands or Schiedam schnapps.
Schley, a S. W. county of Georgia, drained by branches of Flint river; area, about 200 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,129, of whom 2,851 were colored. The chief productions in 1870 were 3,889 bushels of wheat, 88,053 of Indian corn, 19,626 of sweet potatoes, 1,540 lbs. of rice, 3,657 bales of cotton, and 6,672 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 317 horses, 621 mules and asses, 2,531 cattle, 486 sheep, and 4,371 swine. Capital, Ellaville.