Shackleford, an unorganized N. W. county of Texas, intersected by the Clear fork of the Brazos river; area, 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 425, of whom 55 were colored. Stock raising is the chief occupation.
See June Berry.
Shamokin, a borough of Northumberland co., Pennsylvania, on Shamokin creek and the Northern Central and Philadelphia and Reading railroads, 95 m. N. W. of Philadelphia; pop. in 1870, 4,320; in 1875, estimated by local authorities at 7,500. It contains many brick buildings, is lighted with gas, and is supplied with water by the Shamokin water company from a distance of about 4 m. It is situated in the middle coal field, and its principal business is the mining of anthracite coal. The product of the Shamokin region in 1874 was about 1,250,000 tons. The borough contains three founderies and machine shops, three banks, four public school houses with 21 departments and about 1,400 pupils, two private schools with about 150 pupils, two weekly newspapers, and ten churches.
Sharon, a borough of Mercer co., Pennsylvania, on the Shenango river, here spanned by two iron bridges, and on the Erie and Pittsburgh railroad, 60 m. N. N. W. of the latter and 64 m. S. S. W. of the former city; pop. in 1870, 4,221. The Mahoning division of the Atlantic and Great Western railroad affords a direct route to Cleveland and the west. There are large coal fields in the vicinity. Iron manufacturing is the chief business, the borough containing two large rolling mills with nail factories of more than 40 machines each, two extensive founderies and machine shops, and about half a dozen blast furnaces. There are two large planing mills, several smaller manufactories, two national banks, a savings bank, and a private bank, four hotels, three large brick school houses, a masonic hall, three weekly newspapers, and nine churches.
Sharon Springs, a village of Schoharie co., New York, on a branch of the Albany and Susquehanna railroad, 45 m. W. by N. of Albany; pop. in 1870, 520. It is in a narrow valley surrounded by high hills, and is a favorite summer resort. It is chiefly noted for its mineral springs, of which there are four, chalybeate, magnesia, white sulphur, and blue sulphur. These, together with a spring of pure water, are near each other and near the base of a wooded bluff W. of the village, and flow into a small stream below. The village contains several hotels, and is visited by more than 10,000 persons annually.
Sharpe, a N. E. county of Arkansas, bordering on Missouri, and intersected by Spring and Strawberry rivers, tributaries of Black river; area, about 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,400, of whom 114 were colored. The surface is a plateau, divided into a series of ridges by numerous clear streams, with much good soil. Iron, lead, and zinc occur, and the last is mined. The chief productions in 1870 were 13,443 bushels of wheat, 200,090 of Indian corn, 13,447 of oats, 56,600 lbs. of butter, and 1,046 bales of cotton. There were 1,704 horses, 2,004 milch cows, 3,376 other cattle, 4,837 sheep, and 9,581 swine. Capital, Evening Shade.