Mercer, the name of counties in eight of the United States.
A W. County Of New Jersey, bordering on Delaware river; area, 200 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 40,386. The surface is uneven, and somewhat elevated toward the N., and the soil is fertile. It is traversed by the New Jersey, the Camden and Amboy, the Belvidere and Delaware, and the Mercer and Somerset railroads, and the Delaware and Raritan canal. The chief productions in 1870 were 149,238 bushels of wheat, 545,547 of Indian corn, 428,-143 of oats, 222,207 of potatoes, 17,516 lbs. of tobacco, 25,425 of wool, 500,342 of butter, and 28,707 tons of hay. There were 4,404 horses, 0,801 milch cows, 3,529 other cattle, 9,384 sheep, and 0,738 swine; 4 manufactories of agricultural implements, 1 of freight and passenger cars, 21 of men's clothing, 4 of ground coffee and spices, 1 of cotton goods, 3 of woollen goods, 1 of drugs and chemicals, 65 of wagon materials, 3 of India-rubber and elastic goods, 5 of forged and rolled iron, 2 of nails and spikes, 0 of iron castings, 7 of machinery, 1 of lead and zinc, 9 of sash, doors, and blinds, 14 of stone and earthen ware, 1 of wire work, 8 saw mills, and 15 flour mills.
A W. County Of Pennsylvania, bordering on Ohio, drained by the Shenango and several smaller creeks; area, 024 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 49,977. The surface is undulating and the soil fertile. Extensive coal mines are found, also iron and limestone. It is traversed by the Atlantic and Great "Western railroad, the Erie and Pittsburgh, the Shenango and Allegheny, and the Franklin division of the Lake Shore; also by the Beaver and Erie canal. The chief productions in 1870 were 341,922 bushels of wheat, 24,850 of rye, 039,743 of Indian corn, 883,905 of oats, 68,025 of buckwheat, 149,124 of potatoes, 018,422 lbs. of flax, 246,639 of wool, 1,516,067 of butter, 101,530 of cheese, and 58,422 tons of hay. There were 11,390 horses, 15,570 milch cows, 18,489 other cattle, 08,038 sheep, and 15,414 swine; 38 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 1 of dressed flax, 3 of forged and rolled iron, 2 of nails and spikes, 15 of iron castings, 9 of machinery, 13 tanneries, 3 breweries, 52 saw mills, 9 planing mills, 20 Hour mills, and 5 woollen mills.
A S. County Of West Virginia, bordering on Virginia, bounded E. by the Kanawha and intersected by Blue-stone river; area, 540 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,064, of whom 394 were colored. A range of the Alleghanies extends along the 1ST. W. border. The chief productions in 1870 were 25,-756 bushels of wheat, 5,597 of rye. 114,746 of Indian corn, 43,184 of oats, 10,867 of potatoes, 117,429 lbs. of tobacco, 18,713 of wool, 109,-355 of butter, and 2,517 tons of hay. There were 1,667 horses, 2,722 milch cows, 3,195 other cattle, 8,293 sheep, and 6,854 swine. Capital, Princeton.
A Central County Of Ken-Tacky, bounded N. E. by Kentucky river, and E. by Dick's river, and drained by the head waters of Salt river; area, 240 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,144, of whom 3,310 were colored. The surface is undulating and the soil fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 146,534 bushels of wheat, 23,941 of rye, 495,775 of Indian corn, 66,001 of oats, 14,551 of potatoes, 33,584lbs. of wool, 123,042 of butter, and 2,992 tons of hay. There were 3,733 horses, 2,220 milch cows, 3,753 other cattle, 7,694 sheep, and 18,349 swine; 3 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 2 of woollen goods, 1 saw mill, and 2 Hour mills. Capital, Harrodsburg.
A W. County Of Ohio, bordering on Indiana, drained by the St. Mary's and Wabash rivers and branches; area 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 17,254. It has a level surface heavily timbered, and a fertile soil. The chief productions in 1870 were 338,189 bushels of wheat, 341,775 of Indian corn, 244,289 of oats, 34,298 of potatoes, 12,589 of flax seed, 94,742 lbs. of wool, 373,956 of butter, and 16,527 tons of hay. There were 5,518 horses, 5,816 milch cows, 6,765 other cattle, 26,669 sheep, and 24,496 swine. Capital, Celina.
A N. W. County Of Illinois, separated from Iowa by the Mississippi; area, 550 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 18,768. There are extensive prairies in the county, and it is heavily timbered along the banks of the Mississippi; the soil is fertile. The Galva and Keithsburg branch of the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 302,494 bushels of wheat, 40,778 of rye, 2,054,962 of Indian corn, 452,889 of oats, 94,241 of potatoes, 52,-088 lbs. of wool, 376,727 of butter, and 28,180 tons of hay. There were 10,984 horses, 7,655 milch cows, 15,552 other cattle, 11,278 sheep, and 41,663 swine; 13 manufactories of carriages, 7 of saddlery and harness, 9 flour mills, and 1 saw mill. Capital, Aledo.
A N. County Of Missouri, bordering on Iowa, and drained by Weldon river; area, 530 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,557, of whom 93 were colored. It has an undulating surface and fertile soil. It is traversed by the Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 69,068 bushels of wheat, 472,730 of Indian corn, 160,081 of oats, 42,969 of potatoes, 17,550 lbs. of tobacco, 57,000 of wool, 234,074 of butter, and 11,602 tons of hay. There were 5.153 horses, 4,416 milch cows, 8,342 other cattle, 25,441 sheep, and 19,627swine. Capital, Princeton.
A N. W. County Of Dakota, bounded N. and E. by Missouri river; area, about 900 sq.m. It is intersected by the Big Knife and other affluents of the Missouri. It has been recently formed, and is not included in the census of 1870. The surface is rolling, and the soil moderately fertile.