Venloo, a fortified town of the Netherlands, in the province of Limburg, on the right bank of the Maas, 40 m. N. N. E. of Maestricht; pop. about 8,000. It has a large Catholic church, a fine town hall, two arsenals, a school of industry and design, manufactories of tobacco and other articles, tanneries, breweries, and distilleries, and much trade in hogs. A suspension bridge connects the town with Fort St. Michael on the left bank of the Maas; on the right bank is Fort Ginkel, and opposite Venloo is the fortified island of Waert or Weert. The place has undergone many sieges.
See Warming and Ventilation.
Ventura, a S. W. county of California, bordering on the Pacific ocean, and drained by Buenaventura and Santa Clara rivers; area, about 2,000 sq. m. It has been formed since the census of 1870. The surface is generally mountainous. The valleys are very fertile. Cattle and sheep are largely raised, and Indian corn, barley, grapes, oranges, and other semitropical fruits are grown. Various minerals are found. Capital, San Buenaventura.
See Marble, vol. xi., pp. 147, 148.
See Copper, vol. v., p. 319.
Vergennes, a city of Addison co., Vermont, on Otter creek, 7 m. from its mouth in Lake Champlain, and on the Rutland division of the Central Vermont railroad, 21 m. S. of Burlington; pop. in 1870, 1,570. Its area is only 480 by 400 rods, not quite 2 sq. m. The falls of Otter creek afford a large amount of hydraulic power, which is partially improved. The manufactures include curtain rolls, doors, sash, and blinds, furniture, guns, hubs, spokes, etc, pumps, leather, and nails. There are three churches, a graded school, a weekly newspaper, and a national bank. The state reform school for boys is situated here. The harbor is an excellent one, affording a sufficient depth of water for the largest vessels. In the war of 1812 Com. McDonough's fleet was fitted out here. The city was settled in 1766, and incorporated in 1788.
Veria, Or Verria (Anc. Beroea), a town of European Turkey, in Macedonia, on a tributary of the Vistritza (anc. Haliacmori), 36 m. W. S. W. of Salonica; pop. about 10,000. It is one of the most agreeable towns in Macedonia, and contains considerable remains of antiquity. The vicinity abounds in fruits, and cotton weaving, dyeing, and carpet manufactories are carried on. - St. Paul and Silas withdrew to ancient Beroea from Thessalonica. The apostle preached the gospel here, and Sopater, a native of the place, accompanied him to Asia.
Vertigo (Lat. From Vertere To Turn), a common symptom, of cerebral disturbance, with or without obscurity of vision, in which objects appear to turn round; besides the abnormal subjective sensations, there may be disordered movements prompted thereby. It may arise from too much or too little blood sent to the brain; from poisons in the circulation, as in alcoholic and other intoxication; and from lesions of the sensorial centres or the nerves therewith connected. The effect is that the intelligence is not able to correct the erroneous suggestions of the senses. It is most commonly a symptom of congestion of the brain, and often indicates an approaching attack of apoplexy, epilepsy, or paralysis.