Volturiyo (Anc. Vulturnus), a river of S. Italy, in Campania, which rises near Monte Meta, midway between GaŽta and Naples, flows S. E. and W., and falls into the gulf of GaŽta, an arm of the Mediterranean, after a course of 90 m. At the beginning of October, 1860, an important victory over the troops of the king of Naples was achieved by Garibaldi on the banks of the Volturno.
Volusia, an E. county of Florida, bordering on the Atlantic, and bounded W. by the St. John's river; area, 2,196 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,723, of whom 328 were colored. The surface is generally level, and in some parts flat and swampy. The chief productions in 1870 were 14,220. bushels of Indian corn, 3,093 of peas and beans, 15,417 of sweet potatoes, and 134 bales of cotton. There were 186 horses, 3,102 milch cows, 7,228 other cattle, 107 sheep, and 4,014 swine. Capital, Enterprise.
Vorarlberg, the westernmost district of the Austrian empire, officially united with Tyrol, bounded N. and N. E. by Bavaria, E. by Tyrol, S: by the Swiss canton of Grisons, W. by the principality of Liechtenstein and the Swiss canton of St. Gall, and N. W. by the lake of Constance; area, 1,005 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 102,264, almost all Germans and Catholics. It receives its name from a mountain ridge called the Arlberg, a branch of the Alps. It is watered by the Aach, 111, Fussach, and Lech; produces potatoes, fruits, wine, grain, and much cheese; and has mines of iron. Many of the people are employed in spring and summer as builders and masons in Switzerland and France, and as' herdsmen in Swabia and Bavaria. The principal towns are Bregenz, the capital, Feldkirch, and Bludenz. Vorarlberg has a separate diet and constitution, but is under the administration of the governor of Tyrol.
See Bible, vol. ii., p. 613.
W1lliamstown, a town of Berkshire co., Massachusetts, on the Troy and Boston railroad, 25 m. (direct) E. of Troy, N. Y.; pop. in 1860, 2,611; in 1870, 3,559; in 1875, 3,683. It occupies the N. W. corner of the state, bordering on New York and Vermont. It abounds in fine scenery, and is becoming a summer resort. Print cloths are manufactured, two factories, with 18,447 spindles, being employed. The town contains 13 public schools, a preparatory school for boys, a town library, and Baptist, Congregational (3), Episcopal, Methodist, and Roman Catholic churches. It is the seat of Williams college. (See Williams College).
Wabash College, an institution of learning at Crawfordsville, Ind., under the control of the Presbyterians. It was founded in 1832, and opened and chartered in 1833. The first class graduated in 1840. The college grounds contain 33 acres, shaded with native forest trees. There are four college buildings. It comprises a collegiate department with classical and scientific courses, a preparatory department, and an English and mercantile course. It has valuable philosophical and chemical apparatus, a cabinet of about 30,000 specimens, and libraries containing about 12,000 volumes. There are scholarships for needy and deserving students. In 1873-'4 there were 11 instructors and 215 students (86 collegiate, 80 preparatory, and 49 English and mercantile). The presidents have been as follows: the Rev. Dr. Elihu Baldwin, 1835-'40; the Rev. Dr. Charles White, 1841-'61; and the Rev. Joseph F. Tuttle, D. D., appointed in 1862.