Wicomico

Wicomico, a S. E. county of Maryland, bounded N. by Delaware, E. by the Pocomoke river, and W. by the Nanticoke, and intersected by the Wicomico, a tributary of Chesapeake bay, navigable to Salisbury, about 25 m.; area, about 350 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,802, of whom 4,406 were colored. The surface is generally low and level, and the soil moderately productive. It is traversed by the Eastern Shore and the Wicomico and Pocomoke railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 12,103 bushels of wheat, 405,627 of Indian corn, 17,693 of oats, 31,214 of Irish and 29,127 of sweet potatoes, 48,308 lbs. of butter, and 14,333 of wool. There were 1,521 horses, 5,526 cattle, 5,766 sheep, and 8,822 swine; 2 planing mills, 17 saw mills, and 3 ship yards. Capital, Salisbury.

Widln, Or Widdin

Widln, Or Widdin, a fortified town of Turkey, in W. Bulgaria, on the Danube, 370 m. N. W. of Constantinople, and 130 m. S. E. of Belgrade; pop. about 25,000. It is situated on a wide plain formed by a bend of the river opposite Kalafat in Little Wallachia, and is of great strategic importance. A Greek archbishop resides here. The town has a trade in grain, wine, and salt. The ships from the Black sea anchor in fair weather close to it. - In 1689 the Turks were signally defeated here by the imperialists, but the fortress itself, though frequently assailed, has never been captured, and is honce called the "Virgin Fort." The fortifications were strengthened in 1853-r'4, when the environs on both banks of the Danube were for a time the principal theatre of the war. Turkish troops were concentrated here in March, 1876, as a protection against Servia. Near by is the town of Bonu, which is generally identified with the site of ancient Bononia, in upper Mcesia.

Widow Bird

See Weaver Bied.

Wieliczka

See Salt.

Wieselburg (Hung. Mosony)

Wieselburg (Hung. Mosony), a W. county of Hungary, bordering on Pressburg, Raab, Oedenburg, and Lower Austria; area, 751 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 75,486, chiefly Germans. It is watered by the Danube, the Leitha, and the Rabnitz. With the exception of a small tract in the east, the county is very fertile. The chief product is wheat. Capital, UngarischAltenburg (Hung. Magyar-Ovdr).

Wife

See Husband and Wife, and Marriage.

Wigan

Wigan, a parliamentary and municipal borough of Lancashire, England, on the Douglas river near its head, on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and on the Northwestern railway, 16 m. W. N. W. of Manchester; pop. in 1871, 39,160. It has a Latin school, a mechanics' institute, a library, and a museum. In 1872 there were 27 places of worship. The cotton mills employ more than 10,000 persons; and there are also manufactories of woollen goods, edge tools, nails, brass ware, machinery, and agricultural implements. The town is ancient; the older part stands on the right and the modern (called Scholes) on the left bank of the river, which is crossed by several bridges. It stands in an extensive coal field.