William Wotton, an English author, born at Wrentham, Suffolk, Aug. 13, 1666, died at Buxted, Essex, Feb. 13, 1726. He entered Catharine hall, Cambridge, before he was ten years old, graduated in 1679, and obtained various preferments. He is chiefly known for his "Reflections upon Ancient and Modern Learning" (London, 1694), which originated the controversy about the "Epistles of Phalaris," and called forth Swift's "Battle of the Books." He also published "A History of Rome" (1701), and "Discourses relating to the Traditions and Usages of the Scribes and Pharisees" (2 vols., 1718); and after his death were published "Discourse on the Confusion of Language at Babel," and Cyfreitlijcu Hywel D Da ac Fraill, an edition of the ancient Welsh laws, with a Latin translation (1730).
William Wright, a British orientalist, born in Bengal, India, Jan. 17, 1830. He was educated in Scotch universities and at Halle, became professor of Arabic in University college, London, in 1855, in Trinity college, Dublin, in 1856, and in 1870 at Cambridge, after being in the interval connected with the department of manuscripts in the British museum.. He has edited and translated into English many Arabic works, including the Kamil of El-Mubarrad, for the German oriental society (Leipsic, 1864-74), an Arabic grammar (2d ed., 1875), and Caspari's Arabic grammar, with numerous additions and emendations (2d ed., revised and enlarged, 1875). His other works comprise "Catalogue of the Syriac Manuscripts in the British Museum" (3 vols., 1870-'72); "Apocryphal Acts of the Apostles," Syriac and English (2 vols., 1871); and "Oriental Series of Facsimiles of Ancient Manuscripts " (1876 et seq.).
William Youatt, an English veterinary surgeon, born in 1777, died in London, Jan. 9, 1847. He published "On Canine Madness" (London, 1830); "The Horse" (1831; enlarged ed. by E. N. Gabriel, 1859; enlarged ed. by Walker Watson, 1866); "Sheep" (1832); "Cattle" (1834); "Obligation and Extent of Humanity to Brutes" (1839); "The Dog" (1842); "The Pig" (1847); and "The Complete Grazier" (11th ed., 1864). In 1828 he established "The Veterinarian," the first periodical devoted to that class of subjects.
Williamsburgh, an E. county of South Carolina, bounded N. E. by Lynch's creek and the Great Pedee river, and S. W. by the Santee, which is here navigable by steamboats, and drained by Black river; area, 1,200 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,489, of whom 10,143 were colored; in 1875, 21,055, of whom 14,234 were colored. The surface is level and diversified by pine forests, and the soil is generally fertile. The Northeastern railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 103,487 bushels of Indian corn, 37,011 of sweet potatoes, 249,800 of rice, and 1,791 bales of cotton. There were 764 horses, 3,034 milch cows, 4,884 other cattle, 3,487 sheep, and 10,902 swine; 12 manufactories of tar and turpentine, and 4 saw mills. Capital, Kingstree.