Chippewa, a river of Wisconsin, called by the Indians the Ojibway, or Ojibbeway. It rises in the N. part of the state, flows in a S. W. direction through a country mostly covered with pine forests, and after a course of over 200 m. enters the Mississippi near Lake Pepin, 85 m. below St. Paul, Minnesota. It is about 500 yards wide at its mouth.
Chippewa. I. A N. E. county of Michigan, bordering on Lakes Superior and Huron, and bounded E. by the river St. Mary; area, about 1,500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,689. It includes several islands. The surface is hilly and partly covered with forests of pine. The chief productions in 1870 were 2,005 bushels of oats, 9,227 of potatoes, and 940 tons of hay. The value of live stock was $16,278. Capital, Sault Ste. Marie. II. A N. W. county of Wisconsin, traversed by the Chippewa river and several affluents; area, about 4,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,311. The surface is uneven, and forests of pine and other trees abound. Sandstone is common. The chief productions in 1870 were 131,505 bushels of wheat, 32,751 of Indian corn, 166,944 of oats, 67,890 of potatoes, and 8,255 tons of hay. There were 928 horses, 1,466 milch cows, 2,559 other cattle, and 2,478 swine. There were 3 flour mills, 14 saw mills, and 2 breweries. Capital, Chippewa Falls. III. A S. W. county of Minnesota, bounded S. W. by the Minnesota river, and intersected by the Chippewa and Chetomba; area, 2,445 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,467. The St. Paul and Pacific railroad just touches the N. E. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 9,318 bushels of wheat, 3,550 of Indian corn, 2,465 of oats, 4,993 tons of hay, and 64,830 lbs. of butter.
There were 158 horses, 584 milch cows, 1,501 other cattle, and 256 swine. Capital, Chippewa City
Chippewa, a village and port of entry in the province of Ontario, Canada, in the township of Willoughby, Welland co.; pop. about 1,200. It is situated at the confluence of the Chippewa and Niagara rivers, 2 m. above the falls, and contains an extensive steam engine manufactory, and one of the largest factories of stoves in the province. - A battle was fought here, July 5, 1814, between the Americans under Gen. Brown and the British under Gen. Riall. On the 3d the Americans crossed the Niagara river, surprised Fort Erie, and the next day moved down the river. On the 5th they came upon the enemy, concealed behind a wood. After a series of attacks and counter-attacks, the British were finally repulsed, and retreated across Chippewa creek, burning the bridge behind them. The Americans in this action were actually commanded by Gen. Scott, Gen. Brown not being in the field. The Americans engaged numbered 1,900; their loss was 68 killed and 267 wounded. The British numbered 2,100, and lost 138 killed and 365 wounded.
Chippewas. See Ojibways.