Paul Revere, an American patriot, born in Boston, Jan. 1, 1735, died there, May 10, 1818. He was of Huguenot descent, and was brought up to his father's trade of goldsmith. In 1756 he was a lieutenant of artillery in the colonial army, and was stationed at Fort Edward near Lake George. On his return he established himself as a goldsmith, and by his own unaided efforts learned the art of copperplate engraving, and at the breaking out of the revolutionary war was one of the four engravers then living in America. In 1766 he engraved a print emblematic of the repeal of the stamp act, which was very popular, as was likewise another called "The Seventeen Rescinders." In 1770 he published a print of " The Boston Massacre," and was one of the grand jury which refused to serve because of the action of parliament in making the judge independent of the people. In 1775 he engraved the plates, made the press, and printed the bills of the paper money ordered by the provincial congress of Massachusetts. By that body he was sent to Philadelphia to learn the art of making powder, and on his return set up a mill. He was one of those engaged in the destruction of the tea in Boston harbor (1773), and was sent to New York and Philadelphia to carry to those places the news of what had been done.

When the decree for closing the port of Boston reached that city, he was again sent to those places to invoke their sympathy and cooperation. When Gen. Gage prepared an expedition to destroy the military stores of the colony at Concord, Warren, at 10 o'clock on the night of April 18, 1775, despatched William Dawes through Roxbury to Lexington, and Revere by way of Charlestown, to give notice of the event. Five minutes before Gen. Gage's order was received to prevent any American from leaving Boston, he was rowed across Charles river, and escaping the British officers rode in the still night to Lexington, rousing every house on his way. A little after midnight both messengers reached Lexington, roused Hancock and Adams, and then pushed on to Concord, but were afterward taken prisoners, brought to Lexington, and there released. Revere became a lieutenant colonel in the defence of the state of Massachusetts, and after the war cast church bells and cannon. He built the copper-rolling works at Canton, Mass., now conducted by the Revere copper company.