Roubaix, a town of France, in the department of Le Nord, 6 m. N. E. of Lille; pop. in 1872, 75,987. The population in 1800 was only 8,700, and in 1834 18,187, the rapid increase being due to that of the manufactures of woollen, silk, and cotton goods, known as "Roubaix articles." Linen yarns, shawls, cloth, carpets, and other goods are also made, the annual value of all the manufactures exceeding 150,000,000 francs. The Roubaix or La Marcq canal, 15 m. long, commences near Marquette and joins the Scheldt in Belgium.
See Entozoa, vol. vi., p.668.
Rouse's Point, a village in the town of Champlain, Clinton co., New York, on the W. shore of Lake Champlain, at the mouth of the Richelieu river, 1/2 m. S. of the Canada line, and 21 m. N. by E. of Plattsburgh; pop. in 1870, 1,266. It is at the terminus of a branch of the Grand Trunk railway, and the Central Vermont railroad here crosses the lake on a bridge 1 m. long. There are about 2,000 arrivals and departures of vessels annually. About seven eighths of the revenues of the district of Champlain are collected here, the receipts amounting to $500,000 a year. Fort Montgomery, guarding the outlet of the lake, is a mile distant. The village contains an extensive publishing house.
Roussillon, an ancient province of S. France, now forming the greater part of the department of Pyrénées-Orientales. It took its name from the town of Ruscino, afterward called Rosciliona, and now Tour de Roussillon. It was taken from the Saracens by Pepin the Short in 759, and was governed by Frankish counts till 1172, when the last of them bequeathed it to Alfonso II. of Aragon. John II. of Aragon ceded it in 1462 to Louis XI. of France as security for borrowed money. Charles VIII. restored it to Ferdinand of Aragon in 1493. Louis XIII. conquered it in 1642, and by the treaty of the Pyrenees in 1659 it was annexed to France.
Rouville, a S. W. county of Quebec, Canada, bounded N. W. by the Richelieu river; area, 244 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 17,634, of whom 16,954 were of French origin or descent. It is intersected by the Yamaska river, and by the Stanstead, Shefford, and Chambly, and the Montreal, Chambly, and Sorel railways. Capital, Ste. Marie de Monnoir.
Roxburghshire, a S. E. county of Scotland, bordering on Cumberland and Northumberland, England; area, 670 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 53,965. Jedburgh, Kelso, Hawick, and Melrose are the chief towns. The principal rivers are the Tweed and Teviot. The Cheviot hills extend from the E. to the S. W. extremity of the county, and afford excellent pasturage. Many sheep are raised. Wool is manufactured. Roxburghshire is very rich in remains of monastic magnificence. Scott has made many of its traditions familiar to the world.
Roxbury, formerly a city of Norfolk co., Massachusetts, but since 1867 forming the 13th, 14th, and 15th wards of Boston; pop. in 1860, 25,137; in 1870, 34,772. It is connected with Boston proper by Boston neck. It was settled in 1630, and incorporated as a city in 1846. Roxbury was for many years the scene of the labors of John Eliot, the apostle to the Indians, whose remains are in the "ministers' tomb" in the old burial ground.