St Kilda, a lonely island in the Atlantic, belonging to Harris in Inverness-shire, and 40 miles W. of North Uist. With an extreme length and breadth of 3 1/4 and 1 1/4 miles, it is only 1.9 sq. m. in area; has lofty precipitous cliffs almost everywhere, except at the south-eastern landing-place; and attains a maximum altitude of 1220 feet. The climate is mild; and the soil is black loam, with very fine pasture, but only some 40 arable acres. The live-stock includes nearly a thousand sheep (which graze also on four neighbouring islets), and about forty Highland cattle; but a principal source of wealth is the sea-birds - fulmar petrels, solan geese, puffins, etc. - which supply feathers, oil, and meat. Its native name is Hirta (Gael. h-Iar-tir, ' the western land '); and the name St Kilda is probably of Columban origin. Events in its 'history' have been the reduction of the population by smallpox to four adults and twenty-six children (1724); the imprisonment of Lady Grange here by her husband (1734-42); the emigration of thirty-six islanders to Australia (1856); the drowning of six (1864); and the establishment of a regular school (1884). Pop. (1851, the maximum) 110; (1901) 77. See works by Dean Munro of the Isles (1585), Martin (1698-1703), Kenneth Macaulay (1764), L. Mac-Lean (1838), J. Sands (1877), G. Seton (1878), and R. Connell (1887).
St Kilda, a coast suburb of Melbourne (q.v.), on the east side of Hobson's Bay.