Quincy, a town of Norfolk co., Massachusetts, on Quincy bay, and on the Old Colony railroad, 7 m. S. S. E. of Boston; pop. in 1830, 2,201; in 1840, 3,486; in 1850, 5,017; in 1860, 6,778; in 1870, 7,442. It is celebrated for its quarries of granite, large quantities of which are shipped to all parts of the country. It contains two national banks, with a joint capital of $300,000; a savings bank, with more than $1,000,000 deposits; eight schools, including a high school; a weekly newspaper; and nine churches. It is noted as the birthplace of Gov. John Hancock, and Presidents John Adams and John Quincy Adams. The principal village is beautifully situated on an elevated plain near the centre of the town. The most noteworthy buildings are the town house, of granite; the Adams temple, a granite church containing monuments in memory of John Adams and John Quincy Adams and their wives; and the Adams and Quincy mansions. Quincy was formed from Braintree in 1792.
Quincy, the capital of Adams co., Illinois, and the second city in the state in population, situated on the Mississippi river, 160 m. above St. Louis and 95 m. W. of Springfield; pop. in 1837, 1,653; in 1850, 6,902; in 1860, 13,718; in 1870, 24,052, of whom 7,733 were foreigners and 1,073 colored; in 1875, estimated by local authorities at 35,000. It is handsomely situated on a limestone bluff 125 ft. above the river, of which and of the surrounding country it commands an extensive view. It is regularly laid out and well built, chiefly of brick, and has fine water works. The streets are lighted with gas, and the principal ones are traversed by horse cars. There are many substantial business blocks and handsome residences, the latter being surrounded by well kept grounds. It contains four small parks and several cemeteries. About 2 m. from the centre of the city are well appointed fair grounds comprising about 80 acres. The trade of Quincy is extensive, the river affording ample water communication, and eight lines of railroad rendering tributary a wide and fertile region.
The railroads centring here are: the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy; Toledo, "Wabash, and Western; Hannibal and St. Joseph, crossing the Mississippi on a magnificent railroad bridge recently completed; Quincy, Carthage, and Burlington; Quincy, Missouri, and Pacific; St. Louis, Keokuk, and Northwestern; Quincy, Alton, and St. Louis; and Missouri, Kansas, and Texas. The facilities for manufacturing are good. The various establishments employ an aggregate of about 3,500 hands, and produce annually goods to the value of about $10,000,000. Among the more important are 10 manufactories of wagons and ploughs, 4 of furniture, 3 of carriages, 4 of plug tobacco, 1 of corn planters, 11 of brick, 2 of organs, 2 of canned fruit and pickles, 8 iron founderies (producing stoves and general castings), 11 flouring mills, 1 paper mill, 1 woollen mill, 4 planing mills, 2 grain and 2 fruit distilleries, 5 rectifying establishments, 6 breweries, and a grain elevator with a capacity of 150,000 bushels, besides manufactories of cigars, cooperage, soap and candles, files, hoes, sewing machines, matches, etc. Pork packing employs 7 firms, and 15 establishments are engaged in the gathering and shipment of ice.
There are 7 banks, with an aggregate capital of $1,000,000. Quincy is divided into 6 wards, and is governed by a mayor and a board of 12 aldermen. It has an efficient police force and a well organized fire department. The principal charitable institutions are two hospitals and three asylums. There are nine public schools, embracing a high school and grammar, intermediate, and primary departments, attended by about 3,000 pupils; also several academies. A medical college was incorporated in 1873. The Quincy library has 4,000 volumes. Three daily (one German), one triweekly, and four weekly (one German) newspapers, and two monthly (one German) periodicals are published. There are 30 churches, viz.: 4 Baptist (1 colored), 1 Christian, 1 Congregational, 2 Episcopal, 4 Evangelical, 2 Evangelical Lutheran, 1 Jewish, 6 Methodist (1 colored), 2 Presbyterian, 6 Roman Catholic, and 1 Unitarian. - The first white settler established himself on the site of Quincy in 1822. It was laid out in 1825 and incorporated as a town in 1834. It received a city charter in 1839.