Bardings, horse armor of the middle ages. See Aemoe, vol. i., p. 734.
Bardstown, Or Bairdstown, a post town and the capital of Nelson county, Ky., situated on an elevated plain near the Beech fork of Salt river, 40 m. by rail S. E. of Louisville, on a branch of the Louisville and Nashville railroad; pop. in 1870, 1,835. It is the seat of a Roman Catholic theological seminary, and preparatory seminary. It contains several churches, and has factories of cotton, woollen, and other fabrics.
Barefooted Friars And Nuns, religious orders in the Roman Catholic church, which discard the use of coverings for the feet, either at all times or at special seasons. Thus the nuns of our Dear Lady of Calvary go unshod from May 1 to Sept. 14. Some wear sandals of wood, leather, or platted rope, fastened to the feet by thongs. About 25 different orders of barefooted friars and nuns are enumerated, the most prominent of which are: The barefooted monks of St. Augustine, who spread over France and the Indies; the barefooted nuns of St. Augustine; the barefooted Carmelites of Avila, male and female, in Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Germany, and India; the barefooted Trinitarians, in Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Poland, Hungary, and Bohemia; nuns of St. Francis of the stricter observance, established in France in 1593, and afterward endowed with the convent of Picpus in Paris, whence they are often called les Picpus, and the Passionists.
Bareily, a city of the Northwest Provinces of Hindostan, capital of a district of the same name, in the region of Rohilcund, on a branch of the Ganges, in lat. 28° 23' N. and lon. 79° 26' E., 122 m. E. by S. of Delhi; pop. 92,000, two thirds of whom are Hindoos. It was ceded to the British in 1801. The officials live in a citadel outside the town. The inhabitants are engaged in the manufacture of swords, daggers, carpets, saddles, housings, embroidery, jewelry, brass wares, and cabinet work. In the last two of these branches of manufacture they particularly excel. The sepoy garrison mutinied May 31, 1857, and killed every European that fell in their way. The place was recovered by Sir Colin Campbell in the following year.
Barewell, a market town of Derbyshire, England, situated on the river Wye, near its junction with the Derwent, 20 m. N. N. W. of Derby; pop. in 1871, 10,727. It is the property of the duke of Rutland, whose seat, Had-don Hall, is two miles from the town. It has a spacious cruciform church founded in Saxon times, showing specimens of Gothic architecture of different periods, and on the opposite bank of the Wye are traces of a castle built by Edward the Elder in 924. Cotton mills were first established here by Arkwright, and there are coal and lead mines in the vicinity. There are also chalybeate springs and warm baths, formerly much resorted to. Chatsworth house, the splendid residence of the duke of Devonshire, is three miles distant.