Cousin-Montauban

See Palikao, Count de.

Coustou

Coustou, the name of three French sculptors. I. Nicolas, born in 1658, died in 1733. His works were exceedingly numerous, and furnished material for a volume by his biographer, Cousin de Contamine. The most important of them are a group representing the descent from the cross, in the church of Notre Dame at Paris, and two colossal statues representing the junction of the Seine and the Marne, in the garden of the Tuileries. II. Guillanme, brother of the preceding, born in 1678, died in 1746. He was distinguished for independence and vigor of style. Among his best works are groups representing the Ocean and the Mediterranean, in the garden of Marly, a colossal statue of the Rhone, at Lyons, and several mythological statues. III. Guillanme, son of the preceding, born in 1716, died in 1777. His fame rests upon the statues of Mars and Venus, executed for Frederick the Great.

Coutances

Coutances (anc. Constantia Castro), a town of France, in the department of La Manche, 6 m. E. of the sea and 35 m. S. of Cherbourg; pop. in 1866, 8,159. It is the seat of a bishop, and contains an old Gothic cathedral with two spires in front and a large square tower surmounting the centre of the cross, a communal college, a public library with 5,000 volumes, and a small theatre. There are manufactories of cutlery and druggets, and a brisk trade is carried on in corn, butter, poultry, flax, hemp, and horses. Near it are the remains of an ancient Roman aqueduct.

Coutts

See Burdett-Coutts.

Covenanters

See Cameronians.

Coventry Kearsey Dighton Patmore

Coventry Kearsey Dighton Patmore, an English poet, born in Woodford, Essex, July 23, 1823. He published in 1844 a small volume of poems, and in 1853 "Tamerton Church Tower, and other Poems," neither of which attracted much attention. He is best known by his "Angel in the House," an attempt to invest the commonplace incidents of life with poetic interest; it is in four parts, entitled " The Betrothal," "The Espousal," "Faithful for Ever," and " The Victories of Love " (1854-'62). In 1862 he edited " A Garland of Poems for Children." From 1846 to 1868 he was an assistant librarian of the British museum.

Covilhio

Covilhio, a town of Portugal, in the province of Beira, situated on the E. slope of the Sierra de la Estrella, 20 m. S. W. of Guarda; pop. about 9,000. It has an antique castle, nine churches, a hospital, a workhouse, and a manufactory of cloths, druggets, and baizes.

Cow

See Cattle.

Cowetas

See Creeks.

Coweta, A 1st. W. County Of Georgia

A 1st. W. County Of Georgia Coweta, bounded N. W. by the Chattahoochee, and E. by Line creek; area, 378 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,875, of whom 8,019 were colored. It has an uneven surface and a fertile soil, most of which consists of a sandy loam. Oak, hickory, and pine are the principal timber. A gold mine was formerly worked here. The Atlanta and West Point, and the Savannah, Griffin, and North Alabama railroads traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 37,131 bushels of wheat, 224,070 of Indian corn, 26,586 of oats, 19,828 of sweet potatoes, 64,933 lbs. of butter, and 9,793 bales of cotton. There were 861 horses, 1,477 mules and asses, 2,025 milch cows, 3,245 other cattle, 2,546 sheep, and 8,153 swine; 3 saw mills, 1 cotton and 1 car factory. Capital, Newnan.