Delaware Bay, an arm of the sea, separating the states of New Jersey and Delaware, and communicating with the Atlantic between Cape May (lat. 38° 56' N. and lon. 74° 58'W). and Cape Henlopen (lat. 38° 47' and lon. 75° 5' 30"), which are about 15 m. apart. It is about 60 m. long to the entrance of Delaware river, of which it is a broad estuary, and from 25 to 30 m. in greatest breadth, contracting toward the north to a width of less than 5 m. The main channel admits the largest vessels to the head of the bay and into the river, having from 35 to 75 ft. of water; but the course is made tortuous by the numerous shoals which nearly fill the central portion. The United States government has constructed an extensive breakwater at Cape Henlopen, forming a safe and capacious harbor, with a depth of from 4 to 6 fathoms. (See Breakwater).
Delaware, Or Delaware Court House, a town and the capital of Delaware co., Ohio, on the right bank of the Olentangy river, which is here crossed by a bridge, 24 m. N. of Columbus, and at the intersection of the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis railroad with its Springfield branch; pop. in 1870, 5,641. It is pleasantly situated on rolling ground, and is neatly built. It contains a medicinal spring, which is much resorted to. There are several machine shops, an oil mill, manufactories of cordage, crash, etc.; two national banks, and a large hotel. It is the seat of the Ohio Wesleyan university, organized in 1842, which in 1871 had 9 instructors, 417 students, of whom 74 were in the preparatory department, and a library of 13,000 volumes. A theological department is connected with the university. The Ohio Wesleyan female college, organized in 1863, in 1871 had 10 instructors and 210 students.
Delft Ware, a kind of pottery of clay, or clay mixed with sand, and covered with a white enamel, which gives to it the appearance of porcelain. The vessels made of this preparation are first moulded, then slightly baked, in which state they readily receive the enamel, when a stronger heat is applied for the purpose of fusing the enamel uniformly and to complete the baking process. Sometimes this pottery is finely ornamented with painting. The more common and coarser kinds, however, better resist a sudden heat. The preparation of the enamel is an important part of the process. It should be made so opaque that the ware cannot be seen through it.
Delitzsch, a town of Prussia, in the province of Saxony, on the Lober, 17 m. N. E. of Merseburg and 12 m. N. by W. of Leipsic; pop. in 1871, 8,112. It contains a castle, three churches, a hospital, and manufactories of hosiery, gloves, shoes, and tobacco. The town is old, and has several annual fairs.