Guelph, a town and inland port of entry, capital of Wellington co., Ontario, Canada, 45 m. W. S. W. of Toronto; pop. in 1871, 6,878. It is built upon several hills, on the river Speed, and on the Grand Trunk railway, at the terminus of the Wellington, Grey, and Bruce line, and the Galt and Guelph branch of the Great Western railway. The court house and several other buildings are of limestone quarried in the vicinity. The surrounding country is a rich agricultural region, and wheat and flour are shipped in considerable quantities. The river here falls about 80 ft., furnishing abundant water power. There are several flour mills, saw mills, planing mills, breweries, and manufactories of woollens, iron castings, machinery, agricultural implements, leather, sewing machines, musical instruments, wooden ware, etc. There are three branch hanks, a library and reading room, two daily and three weekly newspapers, and churches of seven denominations.
Guerande , a town of France, in the department of Loire-Inferieure, 38 m. N. \V. of Nantes; pop. in 1860, 0,749. It is now 3 m. from the sea, but it once had a harbor and was a place of importance. It is surrounded by massive walls flanked with imposing towers, and has four gates. In the environs are extensive salt marshes, which are below the level of the sea and are protected by dikes, through which the water is admitted at high tide into basins and evaporated. The annual production of salt is over 80,000 tons. Gue-rande has also manufactories of cotton and linen goods, herring fisheries, and a brisk trade in wine. It was founded in the 0th century, and was fortified in 1431.
Guerazzi ,.See Guerrazzi.
Gueret , a town of France, capital of the department of Creuse, near the left bank of the Creuse, 35 m. X. E. of Limoges; pop. in 1866, 5,120. It has a communal college, normal school, public library, and museum; manufactories of combs, bone black, buttons, and potash; distilleries and tanneries; and a brisk trade in coal, lumber, butter, and fruits. Gueret was built around an abbey founded about 720.
Guesclin ,.See Du Guesclin.
Guicowar, Or Guikwad Dominion of the, or Baroda, a tributary state of British India, in the division of Guzerat, province of Bombay. The former dominions of the Guicowar comprised about 29,400 sq. m., lying around the gulf of Cutch, between lat. 20° 40' and 24° X., and Ion. 69° and 74° E. The present Baroda. which is all that remains under the nominal rule of the native prince, has an area of 4,400 sq. m.; pop. about 350,000. (See Baroda.) For its physical characteristics, see Guzerat.
Guidi , Toinmaso. See Masaccio.
Guido Aretino ,.See Aretino.
Guido Cavalcakti, an Italian philosopher and poet, born in Florence in the early part of the 13th century, died in 1300. Dante introduces Cavalcanti's father in his Inferno on account of his Epicurean philosophy. Caval-canti was distinguished for the lofty style of his poetry, which consisted for the most part of sonnets and canzonets, the most celebrated of which are those dedicated to Mandetta, a ladv whom he had met at Toulouse after his return from a pilgrimage to Compostela. Having married a daughter of the Ghibelline chief Farina degli Uberti, he succeeded his father-in-law as head of that party. When the leaders of both factions were exiled by the citizens, Cavalcanti was sent to Sarzana, where his health was so much injured by the bad air, that he died soon after his return. His Rime, edite edinedite, were published by Cicciaporri at Florence in 1813.