Kaspar Peucer, a German reformer, born in Bautzen, Jan. 6, 1525, died in Dessau, Sept. 25, 1602. He studied at Wittenberg, where in 1554 he became professor of mathematics and subsequently of medicine. He was a son-in-law and a zealous disciple of Melanchthon, after whose death in 1560 he became physician to Augustus, elector of Saxony, who regarded him as the principal exponent of Melanch-thon's views, and allowed him to select professors for the university of Wittenberg. But from 1574 to 1586 he was imprisoned on account of his alleged Crypto-Calvinistic doctrines, and subsequently he resided at Zerbst as physician to the reigning prince. He published several astronomical and other books, and an edition of Melanchthon's collected works (Wittenberg, 1562-4). Among recent works relating to him is Kaspar Peueer und Niholaus. Krell, by Henke (Marburg, 1865).
Kaspar Zimbfsch, a German sculptor, born in Munich about 1830. He has executed the monument of Maximilian II. at Munich, that of Beethoven at Augsburg (1874), and many busts and statues, including those of Louis II., Wagner, Schonbein, and Rumford.
Katif, a seaport town of Arabia, in a province of the same name in the sultanate of Nedjed, on the Persian gulf, lat. 26° 25' N., Ion. 50° 10' E.; pop. about 6,000. The town stands at the W. extremity of a bay formed by two long promontories, at the extremity of each of which is a fortress. Between these points, where the bay is 20 m. wide, lies the island of Tarut, which is well watered and covered with date palms. The castle of Katif stands on the curve of a little inner bay. The town is crowded, damp, dirty, and unhealthy. It has a weekly market, well supplied. Katif has now but little trade, the island of Bahrein, about 30 m. S. E. of it, having absorbed most of the commerce of the coast.
Katmandu, Or Catmandoo, a town of India, capital of Nepaul, 150 m. N. of Patna; pop. estimated at from 20,000 to 50,000. It is situated in a large plain, and surrounded by ranges of the Himalaya mountains. It is the residence of the rajah, and is a place of considerable importance, with many temples and good houses, and a fine square containing a royal palace and Chinese pagoda. A considerable trade is carried on with Thibet and the Ganges. The inhabitants are mostly Newars, and in the vicinity reside the Parbutiyas in straggling villages.
Katzbach, a small river of Prussian Silesia, which joins the Oder on its left bank, 29 m. N. W. of Breslau, after a course of 35 m. It is noted for a victory of the Prussians and Russians under Blucher over the French commanded by Macdonald, achieved on its banks near Liegnitz, Aug. 26, 1813.
Kaufman, a N. E. county of Texas, bounded S. W. by Trinity river, and drained by the E. fork of that stream; area, 950 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,895, of whom 838 were colored. The surface is mostly undulating, and the S. E. part is well timbered, while the N. W. is occupied by prairies. The soil is generally good. The chief productions in 1870 were 179,658 bushels of Indian corn, 11,700 of sweet potatoes, and 1,910 bales of cotton. There were 2,605 horses, 25,643 cattle, 2,448 sheep, and 8,406 swine. Capital, Kaufman.