Mayor (Lat. Major; Fr. Maire), the chief municipal officer in a borough or corporate town. The office arose out of the immunities granted to free cities by sovereigns in the middle ages, and in England dates from the reign of Richard I., previous to which time the chief magistrate of a town was called portreeve or boroughreeve. In England mayors are addressed as "your worship," and those of London, Dublin, and York enjoy the prefix of lord to their titles by special royal grant. In France the maire is the first municipal officer in each commune, and is charged with the preservation of public security, the preparation of statistics of marriages, births, etc, and with judicial power over certain minor oifences. The chief executive officers of cities in the United States are termed mayors, and are elected annually or biennially by the citizens.
Maysville, a city and the capital of Mason co., Kentucky, situated on the Ohio river, at the terminus of the Maysville and Lexington railroad, 65 m. above Cincinnati, and 61 m. N. E. of Lexington; pop. in 1870, 4,705, of whom 681 were colored. It lies on a bend of the river, and is backed by a range of hills which give it a very attractive appearance. Among the public buildings are a handsome city hall, a court house, a substantial stone jail, and a hospital. The city has an active trade derived from N. E. Kentucky, and is one of the most extensive hemp markets in the United States. It contains three banks, two flour mills, two extensive plough factories, one cotton factory, and chair, coach, and wagon factories. There are several public schools, a high school, a convent, an academy, one tri-weekly and three weekly newspapers, and twelve churches. It was settled in 1784, and incorporated in 1833.
See CAesarea (II.).
Mccook, a S. E. county of Dakota, recently formed, and not included in the census of 1870; area, 432 sq. m. It is drained by Vermilion river. The surface consists of undulating prairies, and the soil is fertile.
Mccracken, a W. county of Kentucky, separated from Illinois by the Ohio river; area, 232 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,988, of whom 3,289 were colored. The Tennessee river forms its N. E. boundary, and it is drained by the Clark river and its branches. The surface is level and the soil fertile. The Pa-ducah and Memphis railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 31,543 bushels of wheat, 273,914 of Indian corn, 18,690 of Irish and 11,985 of sweet potatoes, 1,545,050 lbs. of tobacco, and 84,991 of butter. There were 1,359 horses, 887 mules and asses, 1,392 milch cows, 1,540 other cattle, 4,110 sheep, and 12,600 swine; 3 manufactories of agricultural implements, 5 of carriages and wagons, 4 of iron castings, etc, 4 of saddlery and harness, 1 of sash, doors, and blinds, 3 of tobacco and snuff, 3 of cigars, 3 saw mills, and 2 flour mills. Capital, Paducah.